Just had my computer back up and running and I messed it up. I bought a refurbished quickcam and had problems with the software. Went to Logitech site to download latest (as instructed) and it said I needed DirectX 9.0 first.
Before download, I made sure it was compatible with Windows me. Even checked the Dell site for incompatibility issues, then downloaded. Went directly to Logitech and downloaded driver/software for Windows me. Now I get this (all the time, I might add):
“Can not run unicode version of ATL71.DLL on… Windows me. Please install ANSI version.”
I’ve been googling to learn more. I even downloaded the ANSI files (put them in a subdirectory of Program files), but I don’t know how to get rid of Unicode version. Is this in the DirectX or the Quickcam software? Do I have to uninstall one, both, or just some DLL somewhere? Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to uninstall everything if that's not necessary.
As you've discovered, ATL71.DLL is a unicode version, which is not compatible with WinME. You need the ANSI version, ATL.DLL, this should be in your Windows/System folder. If it isn't there, do a search for it(Start>Search), if found, place it in the Windows/System folder.
If you can't find it anywhere on your computer, you will have to download the DLL and place it in your Windows/System folder. Doing a Google search for "download atl.dll" will bring back a bunch of hits.
Might be best to download it straight from MS though. You can download it from here. This is a self-extracting file that will update your computers Run-Time components for C++ applications.
Save the file(vc6redistsetup_enu.exe) somewhere that you will remember. Browse to where you saved it and double-click the file. It will bring up a window asking where you want to extract the file to. Press the browse button and extract it to the folder that you saved the other file in(file names are different, so nothing will be overwritten).
Now, double-click Vcredist.exe to start the installation, let it overwrite any files it wants to.
If you just download the DLL itself, make sure you have the right one. Version number should be 3.0.8449.0, file size should be 73,785 bytes or 72KB.
The one you don't want(the NT/XP version) has the same version number, but the file size is smaller at 58,938 bytes or 57.5KB.
Thanks for the reply, Kotaguy. I have gotten this problem under control now. Now I'm having Compatibility-mode paging errors I'm addressing.
I'd love your help with that one. Look for my last post under "System Resources 45% And Less-no Virus." I'm on the verge of victory… I can feel it. Just need a bit more advice.
This site is great!
It's best to take advice from once source at a time. Seeing as how wng_z3r0 replied to you in the other thread, I won't help with that issue unless wng_z3r0 wants the help.
Good to hear you solved this problem though!
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI