This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Having problem with DirectX on Windows 7

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I have been having a problem with My directX 9 10 and 11 running on my Lenovo thinkpad running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Specifically when I try to play the Game civilization 5 by 2k games which runs in either directx 9 or 10/11. At first i believed it was the game but when i brought the situation up to the 2k games forums they told me that my problem was not Game related that actually there was a directX related problem, specifically when they asked me to run a DirectX Diagnostic and i got a warning that C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d11.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains and error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. I have tried downloading and re downloading directx through my game and other outlets and nothing seems to change. My Lenovo thinkpad running windows 7 has An Intel I7-3610 2.3 GHz processor, 8 GB of RAM and a NVIDIA Quadro K1000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory Game Card. Can someone Please help me, maybe run a diagnostic or tell me whats wrong? I have used this forum before for malware removal on my desktop and the member were very helpful and I would like to know if I can get that same excellent tech help for My Labtop. Thank you for reading my post.=)
You might find your integrated graphics are not really up to this gaming experience.

Recommended min. graphic requirements for that game are Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics. Be aware that manufactures min. requirements are usually (always) total rubbish and in reality, at decent resolutions and frame rates require a lot more grunt.

Typically what they DON'T tell you is that these requirements are for running on resolution of a pathetic 800x600.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Laptops and decent gaming is a mostly a nonsense concept unless you have a pricey laptop and even then the experience is nothing to write home about. Integrated graphics (no matter how good) kills games and so does heat which can kill laptops. That is why laptop graphics (for gaming) are always pathetic no matter how good. Anything more powerful (read: decent for gaming) will melt the laptop!

Cheers,
Lee

PS: This is probably a biased view bit I'm sticking to it :lol:

PS: This is probably a biased view bit I'm sticking to it

If you are suggesting that, in spite of marketing weenies propagation machines saying otherwise, that notebooks DON'T make good gaming machines or desktop replacements, then I say it is not a biased view at all, but a fact. Full sized PC cases are challenged to keep the internals clean. There's no way a tiny notebook case, with their extremely limited fan support can do the same.

This is exactly why "mobile" CPUs are used in notebook - to toggle down in speed, thus reducing heat generation - at the cost of performance.

The problem is, notebook makers are very successful at cramming PC power into notebook cases - they just cannot keep it properly cooled when taxed by high-demand games.

If you are suggesting integrated graphics on PC motherboards are no good for gaming either - it depends on the board and the graphics solution. Some of the latest, higher-end integrated are pretty capable (and often come with dedicated VRAM for graphics processing) can provide some pretty decent game play.

Nevertheless - no way you can compare any integrated to a decent graphics card.

We need to remember that game makers know that most gamers cannot afford $200+ graphics cards so they code their games to give good "game play" on lessor systems. You just don't get some of the fancy animations, details, and background objects.



****

@Rudabega - Clearly, your Lenovo thinkpad running with an Intel i7, 8 GB of RAM and a NVIDIA Quadro K1000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory Game Card is no "entry-level" machine. If you can keep it cool, it should provide excellent game play. But it must stay cool. I recommend a good cooling pad.

Did that game ever work properly?
@:Lee Thanks for the input but are you sure this is a bad video card? isn't 2gb good and so far my labtop has never had cooling problems (it's brand new) and if minimum requirements for the game are intel I-3 integrated Graphix card would this being an I-7 make it already above average for this game. @Digerati Thank you for your knowledgeable reply =). Yes I have Played the game and it has worked perfect in DirectX10/11 with perfect graphics and no overheating. But then 4 days ago it just wouldn't start up. I have deduced it must be a DirectX problem (Maybe corrupt file, The disk i downloaded it from is a tad bit scratched, but has worked before in that condition). Also because i cannot run the DirectX diagnostic tool and every time I attempt to "Verify the Game Cache" from the steam store it says there is a corrupt/missing File that needs to be redowloaded, then downloads it but doesn't help because it still won't run, and if i Verify Game Cache again the same thing happens. This leads me to believe that The file t is downloading is DirectX and It is something wrong with that program.. Thanks for the response
To check your direct-x is working properly, open start menu / run / type in dxdiag in the run box.
When the dx window opens, click each to tab at the top. If dx is running fine it will say "no problems found".

Check that out first.

if minimum requirements for the game are intel I-3 integrated Graphix card would this being an I-7 make it already above average for this game.

That depends on what resolution your running the thinkpad at and I bet it is set on max by default, not min. 600x800

Problems with "steam" games are legion, so if your dx is running fine, it sound like a steam issue and if so it is beyond me.

Cheers,
Lee
Have you tried upgrading your dx 11?

You cannot uninstall dx, so download DirectX 11 to your desktop and install it. It should upgrade/repair your current dx.

Failing that, try upgrading your video display driver by going to you PC support site and choosing the correct thinkpad model. Install and re-boot. This should renew/repair your dx as well as upgrade your display driver.

Cheers,
Lee
Okay so I have downloaded that file from the link but all I got was A powerpoint presentation and some audio, Was there supposed to be and update there? After that I went to the Microsoft website to download Direct X 11 and the download and installation went fine but the game still wouldn't work, So then i downloaded the DirectX SDK And this download went fine, the majority of the install proceeded smoothly. (It downloaded and installed Direct X Fine) But then when it got to the download install Windows Visual C++ Redistributable packages, It stopped and encountered an error. specifically Error Code S1023 and said that errors were encountered during installation of Redistributable Packages. Please close all open programs and try running setup again. If problems persist contact Direct X Developer support. Now i am trying to find the Direct X developer Support website so I can load type this code in and maybe see what problem aroused. Thanks for the support by the way

but i have downloaded some stuff to my computer that would be troublesome to get again since the time this problem has occurred.

System Restore does not mess with any of your user files, including download. It only affects changes you made to Windows system files and updates, "installations", and/or hardware drivers. It does not affect files that were simply downloaded and/or saved on your computer.
@digrati @Lee Okay I just went to system restore but I could not find a restore point far enough back to when I had the problem. is there any way i can go farther back?

@digrati @Lee
Okay I just went to system restore but I could not find a restore point far enough back to when I had the problem. is there any way i can go farther back?


No, there is no way you can go further back.

If you followed the Microsoft web page fix for error code S 1023 dx corruption without success, I really have no idea as where to go from here. Perhaps another tech. might come along with greater insight into this problem.

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI