This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Hijack This Log: Trojans All Over...

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I usually don't have too much trouble with this computer, but my sister wanted some of her crappy music, so I let her download some. I was extremely hesitant, because we all know how crappy the vast majority of all download clients are (we used Limewire, which sucks hardcore as far as their backdoors go; they were raised in a barn, apparently). Anyway, she went on a download blitz reminiscent of the Germans in World War II, leaving my computer as battered as London. I recently reformated and partitioned my drive to make room for Linux (I'm curious if it's any good; if anyone knows or recommends a Linux resource, I'd be interested to know. This was less than 2 weeks ago. Before I did anything, I installed an anti-virus (AVG Free), as well as Ad-Aware SE Personal (I was forced to reformat because of a virus named "HiDrag" or "W32.Jeefo" and I didn't want to risk infection while importing my archived music… lost all of it anyway…) I've been constantly checking for viruses, and have came up clean on both scans until today, when I found 319 instances of spy/adware and 7 or more trojans. I healed what I could and quarantined everything. Regardless, when I restarted my computer after clearing out everything that I found, there were still all kinds of things running that I haven't ever seen before, ever. So, I remembered how helpful the HJT logs were for people in forums and downloaded it, ran it and interpreted whatever I could and pretty much just stumbled around and such. I figure that you guys will have a better chance at fixing my blunderous computer.

I would like to note before hand that I am in the process of updating Windows to SP2, but I figured I would leave my HJT log regardless, just to see what you guys make of it. I assume it would help more after the updates, but for now, do what you can. I'll post a new one when I get the updates, if need be.



Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:38:28 PM, on 2/1/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\serves32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SVPHOST.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\defragfatx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hifmdo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\navprotect.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hposol08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msfwe1.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.mchsi.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SAClient] "C:\Program Files\Mediacom\BBClient\Programs\RegCon.exe" /admincheck
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows DLL Loader] C:\WINDOWS\system32\defragfatx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Spool] C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvc32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Internet Servcies] hifmdo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Auto Protect] navprotect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGRUN] C:\WINDOWS\system32\lc32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Win32 USB2] serves32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Internet Servcies] hifmdo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NAV Auto Protect] navprotect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Win32 USB2] serves32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Win32 USB2] serves32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Win32 USB2] serves32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NAV Auto Protect] navprotect.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Win32 USB2] serves32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: officejet 6100.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.mchsi.com
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Kerio Personal Firewall 4 - Kerio Technologies - C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe


StartupList report, 2/2/2005, 12:02:45 AM
StartupList version: 1.52.2
Started from : C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.EXE
Detected: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Detected: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
* Using default options
==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\serves32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SVPHOST.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\defragfatx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hifmdo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\navprotect.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hposol08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ftp.exe

————————————————–

Listing of startup folders:

Shell folders Common Startup:
[C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
officejet 6100.lnk = ?

————————————————–

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
UserInit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

————————————————–

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

AVG7_CC = C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
AVG7_EMC = C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
SAClient = "C:\Program Files\Mediacom\BBClient\Programs\RegCon.exe" /admincheck
Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
Windows DLL Loader = C:\WINDOWS\system32\defragfatx.exe
Windows TM = SVPHOST.exe
Spool = C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvc32.exe
Internet Servcies = hifmdo.exe
NAV Auto Protect = navprotect.exe

————————————————–

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Win32 USB2 = serves32.exe
Windows TM = SVPHOST.exe

————————————————–

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

Windows TM = SVPHOST.exe
Internet Servcies = hifmdo.exe
NAV Auto Protect = navprotect.exe
Win32 USB2 = serves32.exe

————————————————–

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Win32 USB2 = serves32.exe
Windows TM = SVPHOST.exe
NAV Auto Protect = navprotect.exe

————————————————–

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Windows TM = SVPHOST.exe
Win32 USB2 = serves32.exe

————————————————–

Shell & screensaver key from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI:

Shell=*INI section not found*
SCRNSAVE.EXE=*INI section not found*
drivers=*INI section not found*

Shell & screensaver key from Registry:

Shell=explorer.exe
SCRNSAVE.EXE=C:\WINDOWS\System32\logon.scr
drivers=*Registry value not found*

Policies Shell key:

HKCU\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry key not found*
HKLM\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*

————————————————–


Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

(no name) - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}

————————————————–

Enumerating Download Program Files:

[Shockwave ActiveX Control]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Director\SwDir.dll
CODEBASE = http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…director/sw.cab

————————————————–

Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:

PostBootReminder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
CDBurn: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
WebCheck: C:\WINDOWS\System32\webcheck.dll
SysTray: C:\WINDOWS\System32\stobject.dll

————————————————–
End of report, 5,702 bytes
Report generated in 0.031 seconds


The most I'm worried about are the Trojans that AVG keeps popping up with, but when I scan AV misses them. I'm concerned that perhaps they spawn right after I delete them. I'm not exactly a novice computer user, but I'm not the best. I hope I can learn something out of this, and perhaps I can help out with others if I learn enough… For now, I'd appreciate an interpretation.

Thanks guys, be back tomorrow to check.
Hello Decadence , Welcome to the TC.

This is what I suggest you do.

Download CWShredder from my signature below. Unzip it on the desktop.
Open CWShredder and with ALL other windows closed, click fix.


Go here and run at least one of the online scans, allow them to delete whatever they find:

TrendMicro HouseCall
eTrust AntiVirus Web Scanner
Panda ActiveScan
Note any thing that can't be fixed
Reboot when done.

Next:

Even if you've already run these, make SURE they're up-to-date and run per instructions.

Make sure you have the up-to-date versions of Spybot V 1.3 and Ad-aware SE Build 1.05 . All are free and available below.

Download Spybot, install and update. Then download Ad-aware, install, and update.

Spybot:

Install the program and launch it.

Go to Start > Programs >Spybot > Search & Destroy and choose Spybot S&D

Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D
Click the button to "Search for Updates" and download and install the Updates.
Next click the button "Check for Problems"
When Spybot is complete, it will be showing "RED" (RED) entries "BLACK" entries and "GREEN" (GREEN) entries in the window
Put a check mark beside the RED (RED) entries ONLY.
Choose "Fix Selected Problems" and allow Spybot to fix the RED (RED) entries.



Scanning With Ad-Aware SE :


1. Download and Install Ad-Aware SE, keeping the default options. However, some of the settings will need to be changed before your first scan

2.Close ALL windows except Ad-Aware SE

3. Click on the‘world’ icon at the top right of the Ad-Aware SE window and let AdAware SE update the reference list for the adware and malware.

4. Once the update is finished click on the ‘Gear’ icon (second from the left at the top of the window) to access the preferences/settings window

1) In the ‘General’ window make sure the following are selected in green:
*Automatically save log-file
*Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
*Safe Mode (always request confirmation)

Under Definitions:
*Prompt to udate outdated definitions - set the number of days


2) Click on the ‘Scanning’ button on the left and select in green :

Under Driver, Folders & Files:
*Scan Within Archives

Under Select drives & folders to scan -
*choose all hard drives

Under Memory & Registry: all green
*Scan Active Processes
*Scan Registry
*Deep Scan Registry
*Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
*Scan my Hosts file


3) Click on the ‘Advanced’ button on the left and select in green:

Under Shell Integration:
*Move deleted files to recycle bin

Under Logfile Detail Level: (all green)
*include addtional object information
*DESELECT - include negligible objects information
*include environment information

Under Alternate Data Streams:
*Don't log streams smaller than 0 bytes
*Don't log ADS with the following names: CA_INOCULATEIT


4) Click the ‘Tweak’ button and select in green:

Under the ‘Scanning Engine’:
*Unload recognized processes during scanning
*Scan registry for all users instead of current user only


Under the ‘Cleaning Engine’:
*Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot


Under the Log Files:
*Include basic Ad-aware SE settings in logfile
*Include additional Ad-aware SE settings in logfile
*Please do not check or make green: Include Module list in logfile


5. Click on ‘Proceed’ to save the settings.

6. Click ‘Start’

*Choose:'Perform Full System Scan'
*DESELECT "Search for negligible risk entries", as negligible risk entries (MRU's) are not considered to be a threat.

7. Click ‘Next’ and Ad-Aware SE will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected and clean automatically.

8. If Ad-Aware SE finds bad entries, you will receive a list of what it found in the window

9. Save the log file when it asks and then click ‘finish’

10. REBOOT to complete the removal of what Ad-Aware SE found



"copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Thanks for the quick reply, LDTate.

I downloaded the Shredder and had no problems there; I already had Ad-aware and scanned with those preferences and had no problems there when I did so. I ran it a few more times, still nothing. I ran Spybot and removed everything it found, but it wasn't much. I ran the three virus scans online: Panda did not work; HouseCall found 2(two) possible viral infections which I couldn't cure, so I deleted them. They were: navprotect and msfwel (both I had suspected but was unsure of how to deal with). Also, HC found 3(three) worms, also suspected files that I didn't know how to deal with. Those were deleted as well (for future reference, they were: worm RBOT.AVB in SVPhost, worm SDBot.AZF in wins32, and worm Peybot.a in defragfatx). Next, I ran eTrust's scan and found a minor FTPdownloader and removed that. Everything else came out clean.

After running HJT, I noted the viruses I deleted (wins32, defragfatx, svphost) in the report. I was also suspicious of a few other files, mainly the registry values that were auto-starting–the O4 segments. I'm new to this program, or else I'd do it myself. Could you show me how to delete these items without screwing myself and also help me in identifying threats?

Here's my log after following your procedure and restarting my computer.



Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:23:08 PM, on 2/2/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hposol08.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.mchsi.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SAClient] "C:\Program Files\Mediacom\BBClient\Programs\RegCon.exe" /admincheck
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows DLL Loader] C:\WINDOWS\system32\defragfatx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Spool] C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvc32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Internet Servcies] hifmdo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGRUN] C:\WINDOWS\system32\lc32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Win32 USB2] wins32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Internet Servcies] hifmdo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Win32 USB2] wins32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Win32 USB2] wins32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: officejet 6100.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.mchsi.com
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Windows TM - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\System32\SVPHOST.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Kerio Personal Firewall 4 - Kerio Technologies - C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe

——


Thanks for the help. I know I'm new, but I'm not so new as to not have completed most of your recommended procedures before coming here. Although the Virus scan helped plenty, what I really need help with is the HJT.

Thank you again; I appreciate your help and would love to hear more suggestions and recommendations from you and anyone else.

Have a good night, I'll be back tomorrow.

++Edit++

Forgot to mention my computer's behavior. It was running extremely slow, having trouble with loading pages (slow as dial up, maybe worse, and I'm on a pretty fast cable), downloads crawled to 20-30kbs as opposed to a regular of 300 or more, extremely slow opening programs. That whole deal. After running the eTrust and other online scans and removing those worms and possible viruses, the computer hastened. I noted that (upon first slowdown and before coming here) when I closed navprotect, defragfatx, svphost and other various processes, the computer didn't have near as much lag, and was closer to the norm I'm used to. I'll assume those were the main problem. I've yet to see another worm warning from AVG, not even during the virus scans when they typically popped up. I'll take that as a good sign, obviously. The computer is noticably faster now, and I've installed a firewall–shoulda done that long ago…

I'm still worried about those entries in my Hijack, which is what I'd really like to know how to deal with.

Brief synopsis: Was fast, then got screwed. Went slow, then deleted some worms. Went almost as fast again, but not quite.

Thanks again.
Removed post by hatevirus
hatevirus, is there something you don't understand about those BIG RED letters:

DO Not post help or your HijackThis Log to another user's hijackthis log unless you have been given permission to do so,
not following this guideline can get you banned from this forum
I suggest you do this:

Run Hijack This again and put a check by these.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows DLL Loader] C:\WINDOWS\system32\defragfatx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Spool] C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvc32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Internet Servcies] hifmdo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Win32 USB2] wins32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Internet Servcies] hifmdo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Win32 USB2] wins32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Win32 USB2] wins32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

O23 - Service: Windows TM - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\System32\SVPHOST.exe (file missing)


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"




Restart in Safe Mode:
Restart your computer.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.


Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Search for and delete these files if listed:

hifmdo.exe
SVPHOST.exe
wins32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\defragfatx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvc32.exe



Do this also if these Temp Folders are part of your OS.

Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.


Next navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY USER Profile)\Local Settings\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.


Empty the Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Thanks again for all the help. I believe everything is in order.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:14:37 PM, on 2/3/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.mchsi.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.mchsi.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SAClient] "C:\Program Files\Mediacom\BBClient\Programs\RegCon.exe" /admincheck
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.mchsi.com
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Kerio Personal Firewall 4 - Kerio Technologies - C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe


How's it look? I'm seeing nothing peculiar. Thanks for the help, again. Also, thanks to hatevirus, for offering his advice and help as well.

I'll run a new series of scans on various antivirus and anti-adware/spyware, but I have a feeling I'm clean.
Good Job :thumbup:


Log looks good :D :thumbup: How is it running any issues?

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Click Start> My Computer, select the Tools menu and then Folder Options, after the new window appears select the View tab…]
This time select the: Restore Defaults
Select: Apply, and click OK




If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on. Both are available below.

Safe Surfing. :D
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI