This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

.tmp File Delete Problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

:scratch: Not sure if I am trying to delete a file that should be kept or if this is a problem file. I have found a .tmp file that will not delete. It is located in Windows/temp. Yesterday, the file was called ZLT016f6.tmp. When I tried to delete it, another .tmp file was created in the same directory which I could delete and then the original file would rename itself with the first alpha letters and only the digits would change. Spysubtract shows no problems. Today, the ZLT file is gone and the new file that cannot be deleted is called Jet93da.tmp. When I clicked on the ZLT file to open it, it showed up as a MSWord File and I got a message that the file was in use by another user, but I could open a copy. The copy file contained symbols and the only readible text was a shortened version of a users name. This computer is not on a network and I am the only user. System is WIN 98, using AOL 9.0 and a dial up modem. Today the new Jet93 file says that it cannot be opened and that I need to rename with the .doc extension. Is this something I should check using HijackThis? Also, I have downloaded HijackThis but it is a .zip file and will not self extract. Are there any shareware pkunzip programs available that will open HijackThis? Thanks in advance for any help.
Shelf Life, Thank you for suggesting Power Archiver. :wavey: This is the first I have heard of that program and will try it out today. I am hoping that the .tmp file is legit. I do use a Firewall, AV and Spybot but as we know anything can get through. I am also going to use the.dll registry tip that is on this website to change my registry.