This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Need Help! Virus or Similar Problem

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My system info: McAfee Anti-Virus Dell Dimension 4100 Series Pentium III at 933 MHz 128 SDRAM at 133 MHz 20.4 GB 7200 rpm Hard-drive Windows ME Word 2000 SR-1 Problem: My Temp Folder is filled recently with over 100 temp files that I cannot delete, with the following properties: –Temp files –Listed as opening with Paint Shop Pro –Date created is listed as when I turn on the computer –0 bytes –Files names like: CSFF7938C1-6544-4536-BA7C-00F9FD34CA6 –Attributes: Hidden, Archive When I try to delete any of the files, the following message appears: Cannot delete (file name): Access is denied. The source file may be in use. I tried to delete them by changing the attributes, then tried in Safe Mode, without success. The first attempt in Safe Mode showed that I deleted about twenty similar files, but when I restarted in normal mode, all of the files were back in the Temp Folder. I've run the following scans: McAfee Anti-Virus CWS Shredder Spybot Ad-Aware Spy Sweeper The following message appears sometimes after closing other applications: Mcupdate (McAfee Antivirus Update) has caused an error in Kernel 32.DLL. Mcupdate will now close. Thank you for your help!
Thank you, Crow. Since I posted, someone else suggested HijackThis and they have reviewed the logfile. It appears to be fine. The 101 temp files are from the new McAfee Antivirus program. No one has said if the temp files pose any problems–any ideas? I can try emailing McAfee to ask, too. Thanks you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI