Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Best Spyware For Me?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Jeremy_*

Guest_Jeremy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:54 AM

Just wondering about your good experiences with the spyware thing. I am new to all this but last night I was up all night because I just couldn't rest until my homepage was fixed. Well, you guys helped me out with that and everything seems to be good now but I want to prevent future incidents. What is the best thing to do? I am on a Compaq running the dreaded Windows ME. Any info would be great and oh yeah....free spyware and/or adware would be great. Holiday Bills are coming! Also, I have heard of the adware then spyware and also a couple other things. I'm not even really sure what I need but I definately want to prevent that homepage switch-a-roo thing that is nearly irreversible with my little knowledge. Also, popups bug me too, something for those would be great. Any program do multiple tasks? Thanks for any info, you guys/gals are awesome!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware hound

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:++

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:47 PM

To be reasonably protected you need a firewall, an antivirus and a spyware stopper. There are a number of free firewall including free versions of Kerio, Sygate and ZoneAlarm. There are free antivirus programs and AVG is the one I hear most often recommended. There are good spyware stoppers such as SpywareBlaster which you can find through the link at the bottom of my post. I would make sure all of these are kept up to date since an outdated antivirus is a vulnerable antivirus. I run Spybot and AdAware at times to make sure nothing got through or that I actually installed something. Again, update regularly. If you do file sharing or visit sites that tend to use a lot of spyware, trojans and other gackware, you are certainly at greater risk and need to take even more precautions. Another thing you can do is use a browser other than IE. I use Netscape, Mozilla, Firebird and Opera. All of them block popups, have cookie management options and are less vulnerable than IE.... Also, read the article about how you got infected in the first place for more info, it is at the bottom of my post...

Edited by Budfred, 02 January 2004 - 12:49 PM.