This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Cookie Paranoia

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Here is one for those of us with cookie paranoia…. Make a new shortcut on your desktop pointing to your cookie file. "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cookies.txt" Now with one click of the mouse you can see your cookies. Every week or so I re-establish this file: - Drill down to the cookie file listed above - Delete cookies.txt file - Log out of Windows and back on - Open Firefox and go to your favorite site Click on the new shortcut and you should only have that one cookie. -phpman
:o I am a novice at everything and do have cookie paranoia. And first I don't even know how to create this C\ shortcut. And then I wanted to bring up an issue that plagued me when I first bought my notebook back in 2003 and that was that I cleared out cookes, history and files in my temporary internet files that I was surfing and using for work. Some I saved as favorites and others I did not and got myself into a pile of trouble and now I afraid to delete anything. What occurred was ….when I went and typed in the same words in google that I had before the articles that I had browsed were not there. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? Now I am afraid to delete anything. I run windows xp, pentium 4, 1.9ghz, mobile processor, 512. Could it be my settings, or is it what i did. This novice would really appreciate comments. this is the first computer that I have had and i have a library of xp books and visit a lot of forums. Regards. I am so novice that I don't even know what cookies are good to keep. And by the way I am using the trial "Trojan Hunter" and like it very much and see that it is one of your programs listed here. When the trial runs out can I purchase it so that your site would benefit a bit from my purchase or do you have that arrangement? just thought that I would add that comment. I look forward to comments.
I understand this cookie thing not very much either. Except that cookies store Info about my habits on the sites I visit. So some cookies I don't mind if they make my life easier on my next visit. But I don't like the idea of websites I glance at keeping Info on my own PC(the cheek of it) to help them in their marketing or whatever other stuff they use this INfo for. The web is full of deception as proved by all the spyware, adware, malaware and viruses we put up with. I don't believe it when they make out its to help my browsing. Maybe a little bit but there must be more to these little devices that all the experts in the know aren't letting us mere mortals cotton onto. Anyway conspiracy theory and general Internet paranoia aside. My questions are. HOw do you know all the cookies are going into the same folder. I seem to have two folders I find cookies in. And there are lots of temporary Internet files with a variety of extensions that I find when doing a scan with a favourite little freeware program of mine. How can you ever be sure your computer is free and clean and theres nothing hiding somewhere else to Immediately start multiplying more cookies and files when you turn the hoover of and go for a cup of tea. You know if all the local businesses I use bugged my house and phone to try and make more of me they would get their heads in their hands from the civil rights people and probably get done. Why oh why do these dodgy practices not receive the same sanctions on the worl wide web. Vexed??????
I Have used ccleaner my self, it does a great job. It also has a nice registery cleaner built in, and a great tool section that will allow you to remove things from startup, instead of just disableing them, and it offers another safe way to remove apps from your pc as well :-) I sware by it (and at times at it! hehehehe)
Here's kind of a neat tip for "Cookie Paranoia." You'll never again pickup another tracking cookie…or that bugger, Doubleclick Cookie. (Boy, that thing used to really annoy me.) Go into Internet Options. Click on the Privacy tab. Then click on Advanced. In Advanced Privacy Settings… Put a check in "Override automatic cookie handling". Under "First-party Cookies", put a check in Accept. Under "Third-party Cookies", put a check in Block. Put a Check in "Always allow cookie sessions".