Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Hijackthis Freezes Up During Scan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Catrancher88

Catrancher88

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:53 PM

OK, so I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I've usually been able to resolve most of my system's problems; this one has me stymied. I have used previous versions of HijackThis without much difficulty, and currently have 1.98.2 installed. The problem is that at about 95% through the scan it freezes up solid. Using ctrl+alt+delete shuts the app down OK without a system crash. The title bar reads "015 Trusted zone enumeration..." Unfortunately, I can't get a log file because of the freeze. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times now, with thorough registry cleanings each time. Using RegSeeker and the Windows Search utility both, I've searched for "free.aol.com," as the HJT tutorial from "bleepingcomputer.com" suggests that to be a very common autoloading piece of malware in the Trusted Zone. I have run CWShredder several times, I've run AdAware, Spybot S&D, Spy Sweeper, AVG, Avast!, AntiVir, BitDefender & PC-cillin, all without snagging any malware. I've used Filemap by BB for ages without ever seeing any unexpected files appearing. Neither WinPatrol, WinSonar2004 nor Metaproducts StartupOrganizer show any evidence of strange apps at startup or in memory. My Internet security settings Trusted Zone has only 4 (visible) site entries: MS Update, MS Office, MS generally (Isn't that crazy? Well, ya gotta take some risks, eh?) and Zonelabs. I'm running WIN ME with all OS, IE and Office updates current. I've searched the HJT forums I know of but seem to be alone in this bizarre phenomenon. Other than running my Frankensystem up to the roof during a lightning storm, does anyone have any suggestions (this's gotta be embarassingly simple, I just know it)? :blink:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Micah_6:8

Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts
  • Interests:Web (Perl, PHP, JavaScript, HTML) programming, CNC programming, Squashing spyware!

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:34 PM

Do you have IE-Spyad installed? :unsure: I have a relatively "fast" machine, and it takes 10-20 seconds or more on my machine because IE-Spyad adds many items to "015 Trusted zone enumeration" (actually it's a "distrusted" zone). If you don't have IE-Spyad installed, then I'm not real sure what the problem may be. Have you just let it run and see if it will continue? :scratch: I would think 10-15 minutes would be plenty of time to see if it will actually finish or just "hang". :)
Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Download Hijack This! My Website: UnSpyMe!

#3 Catrancher88

Catrancher88

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:58 PM

Thanks, Micah 6:8. I feel really stupid. I never thought IESpyad was the problem, but it seems so. I recently discovered it and installed it, and gave it no further thought (as there's no icon needed in my Security folder, so none to get my attention). HijackThis took it's time - about four minutes - but it completed the scan. I was used to the previous versions being so quick. Thanks so much for the heads up on this. Well, back to preschool for me...Man, are those tiny desks gonna hurt.

#4 Micah_6:8

Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts
  • Interests:Web (Perl, PHP, JavaScript, HTML) programming, CNC programming, Squashing spyware!

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:15 PM

I think you're being way too hard on yourself.

I had the same thoughts after I installed IE-Spyad, then ran Hijack This! for the first time afterwards. :oops:

So, be sure to save a tiny desk for me.... :thumbup: