This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Arrgh! Shift-key Invokes Spellcheck In Diverse Pro

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,
I have a predicament that is very puzzling. I've tried everything I could think of and now I've run HiJack This and attached my log below.

ENVIRONMENT:
Win XP w/ SP2
Home Office Computer, no network other than DSL.

THE PROBLEM:
I type a letter (holding the shift key down) and up pops a spelling window. I must close this window to continute typing. The window pops up dozens of times in a paragraph…sometimes without the shift key. I'm using NotePad to write this.

WHERE:
The window pops up in MS Word 2003, MS Excel 2003, MS Outlook 2003 and the email client of the Microplanet Gravity newsreader.
It does not pop up in Notepad, or using IE6 to Google.
I have not checked other programs.

HOW:
In MS Word, there are 2 windows that are triggered. The first I think is timed by the number of characters typed or a timing loop and says "The spelling check is complete." The second window is the Spelling and Grammar window which comes up when I type a capital letter.

In MS Excel a window named Microsoft Excel pops up with a capitalized letter saying "Spelling check is complete for cell text."

In Outlook, when typing an email, it seems to have two windows like word. With a capital letter, a window comes up named "Microsoft Office Outlook" and says "spelling check is complete."

In Gravity, while writing a post, a capital letter pops up a window saying "check spelling."

EFFORTS SO FAR:

I have run

* Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal (latest version with all updates)
* SpyBot Search and Destroy
* SpySweeper
* TuneUp
* LavaSoft AdAware SE.

I uninstalled MS Office and reinstalled it. I renamed the normal.dot file to disable macros on MS Word startup.

I am usually pretty good at troubleshooting, but this one has me baffled.
My thought at this point is that it might perhaps be a general registry setting because it effects diverse programs.

Any guesses, hints, or help would be greatly appreciated. All kibitzers welcome.
Thanks,
RLC

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 10:07:50 PM, on 12/5/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\echo\files\launch.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\RC\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = MS Internet Explorer v6
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {CA0E28FA-1AFD-4C21-A8DC-70EB5BE2F076} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AEECBFDA-12FA-4881-BDCE-8C3E1CE4B344} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvms.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CE188402-6EE7-4022-8868-AB25173A3E14} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscb.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F4E04583-354E-4076-BE7D-ED6A80FD66DA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msbe.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - Startup: launch.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\echo\files\launch.exe
O9 - Extra button: Research (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://help.bellsouth.net/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://active.macromedia.com/director/cabs/sw.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/content/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200212…meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1095396258708
O16 - DPF: {917623D1-D8E5-11D2-BE8B-00104B06BDE3} (CamImage Class) - http://68.51.199.210/activex/AxisCamControl.ocx
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…38165.608275463
O16 - DPF: {A662DA7E-CCB7-4743-B71A-D817F6D575DF} - http://www.autodesk.com/global/expressview…ViewerSetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/12119/CTPID.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{2BAB12CF-F10E-4738-9980-37BAA5347393}: NameServer = 192.168.1.97
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{2BAB12CF-F10E-4738-9980-37BAA5347393}: NameServer = 192.168.1.97
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{2BAB12CF-F10E-4738-9980-37BAA5347393}: NameServer = 192.168.1.97

:scratch:

Close all Browser and Program Windows and have HijackThis fix the following.
Do this by checking the box beside each and then clicking on Fix checked.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AEECBFDA-12FA-4881-BDCE-8C3E1CE4B344} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvms.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CE188402-6EE7-4022-8868-AB25173A3E14} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscb.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F4E04583-354E-4076-BE7D-ED6A80FD66DA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msbe.dll (file missing)

Then Download System Security Suite. Extract it from the zip file into a folder.
http://www.igorshpak.net/software/3ssetup104.zip
Under "items to clear" click all. Then click "clear selected items"
This will cause your system to reboot,

Try running System File Checker (sfc.exe) instructions here

Reboot and Rescan with HJT and post a new log here.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.


Hope this helps :unsure:
Thank you, little eagle, for you prompt and helpful advice!

Before I read your reply I updated definitions for Ad Aware SE and re-scanned my computer. I found quite a bit of stuff which I think was just quarantined SpyBot stuff.

I also updated HiJack This from 1.97 to 1.98.2.

I followed your directions, ran System Security Suite 1.04, and then ran sfc /scannow. I'm now sure what it did…I suppose it makes a log file?

I also ran qbecheck /v and all hotfixes were in place.

I checked Word and Outlook and the spell check problem is still troubling my computer.

The latest HiJack This log is below.

For other readers that have skimmed this post, my problem is that when I am using various programs and typing, when I press and hold the shift key and enter any letter, a spell check window pops up. It also pops up randomly, perhaps tied to a timer or counter.

Thanks again to little eagle…
All help greatly appreciated.
rcollins

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 11:46:08 PM, on 12/5/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\Prodikeys\Prodload.exe
C:\Program Files\echo\files\launch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WISPTIS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HiJack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = MS Internet Explorer v6
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ProdikeysAutorun] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Prodikeys\Prodload.exe"
O4 - Startup: launch.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\echo\files\launch.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {FC09D8A3-C85A-11d2-92D0-0000F87A4A55} - (no file)
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://help.bellsouth.net/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200212…meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1095396258708
O16 - DPF: {917623D1-D8E5-11D2-BE8B-00104B06BDE3} (CamImage Class) - http://68.51.199.210/activex/AxisCamControl.ocx
O16 - DPF: {A662DA7E-CCB7-4743-B71A-D817F6D575DF} - http://www.autodesk.com/global/expressview…ViewerSetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/12119/CTPID.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{2BAB12CF-F10E-4738-9980-37BAA5347393}: NameServer = 192.168.1.97
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{2BAB12CF-F10E-4738-9980-37BAA5347393}: NameServer = 192.168.1.97
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{2BAB12CF-F10E-4738-9980-37BAA5347393}: NameServer = 192.168.1.97
Close all Browser and Program Windows and have HijackThis fix the following.
Do this by checking the box beside each and then clicking on Fix checked.
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {FC09D8A3-C85A-11d2-92D0-0000F87A4A55} - (no file)

Reboot and Rescan with HJT and post a new log here.
Also describe how your computer behaves.

Sorry for the delay.
Once more, thanks little eagle for you help.

I let HJT fix the following, as suggested:

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {FC09D8A3-C85A-11d2-92D0-0000F87A4A55} - (no file)

I rebooted and then tested my programs and the misbehavior remains. I noticed another quirk: when I highlight text and delete it with the DEL key I get a window saysing "the spelling check is complete."

I scanned with HJT again and the file is below:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 8:51:37 AM, on 12/8/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\Prodikeys\Prodload.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\echo\files\launch.exe
C:\Program Files\HiJack This\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = MS Internet Explorer v6
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ProdikeysAutorun] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Prodikeys\Prodload.exe"
O4 - Startup: launch.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\echo\files\launch.exe
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://help.bellsouth.net/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200212…meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1095396258708
O16 - DPF: {917623D1-D8E5-11D2-BE8B-00104B06BDE3} (CamImage Class) - http://68.51.199.210/activex/AxisCamControl.ocx
O16 - DPF: {A662DA7E-CCB7-4743-B71A-D817F6D575DF} - http://www.autodesk.com/global/expressview…ViewerSetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/12119/CTPID.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{2BAB12CF-F10E-4738-9980-37BAA5347393}: NameServer = 192.168.1.97
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{2BAB12CF-F10E-4738-9980-37BAA5347393}: NameServer = 192.168.1.97
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{2BAB12CF-F10E-4738-9980-37BAA5347393}: NameServer = 192.168.1.97

Thanks again,
RCollins
Due to inactivity this topic will be closed.

To help keep you clean follow the recommendations in Tony's article here:
So how did I get infected in the first place?



If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)

The subject of the email must be "Reopen". Include your post username and details about why you need it reopened, with a valid link to your post.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI