This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

I Think I Have A Virus

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I think I may have a virus Norton keeps flashing up virus alert you ha ve a virus tht can't be repaired. I then can't get the Norton window off my computer I close it down but it just stays there. I have run the Norton scan but it comes up no virus. What is going on. Attached is my hijack log Carole

Attachments:


Close all Browser and Program Windows and have HijackThis fix the following.
Do this by checking the box beside each and then clicking on Fix checked.

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe

Please read through the ideas and free software listed below that will help to keep your computer clean.
Some of these you may already have installed or may have done already.

Install a firewall.ZoneAlarm FREE

Ensure that an Antivirus is updated weekly and running. You only need one.
AVG antivirus from Grisoft is a very good FREE antivirus program.

Make sure you have the latest critical updates from windows update.

SpywareBlaster will prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.

IE-SPYAD puts over 4000 known 'bad' sites into your IE restricted zone so that they cannot install malware on your PC.

Google toolbar has a very good built in popup blocker with a nice search bar. To provide privacy, select disable advanced features when installing.

Check your system for latest virus definitions with an online virus scan every week or two.
TrendMicro HouseCall
eTrust AntiVirus Web Scanner
Panda ActiveScan

Check your system for latest trojan definitions with an Online trojan scan also every week or two.

And also see this link for additional security information.
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Please consider using Firefox
http://texturizer.net/firefox/index.html

Please read this


If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.


To help keep you clean follow the recommendations in Tony's article here:
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI