Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Is It Virus Or Just Spam

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 merle23jan

merle23jan

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:14 PM

hello i got some good advice in here before about virus protection so now that i have a new problem i don't know who else to turn to, this one is a bit different though but i hope you don't mind. my problem is with my hotmail account and before you ask - yes i did contact their support page and got an answer, but i'm not entirely convinced. you see recently i have received some strange mail, mostly they seem to be Delivery Status Notifications (failures), which as far as i understand means someone hasn't received a letter i sent to them, the problem is that they come back from people i have never heard of and i'm sure i haven't sent anything to (i don't have a very busy correspondence, so i would know) when i posted those letters to MSN Hotmail Technical Support asking for help they answered me: After going through the entire e-mail that you have sent, I gather that you have received Spam in your e-mail account. You have also replied to one or more Spam’s. That is why you were receiving such unsolicited mails. So what you can do is just follow methods to block Spam’s. They are as mentioned below: - · Set the Junk Mail Filter to “Enhanced”. etc problem is i have never replied to any spam (i know better than that), about 3 years ago i had to change my e-mail because the filters didn't seem to catch the mountains of spam i was getting daily, after that i was very careful not to enter my address anywhere even remotely suspicious and i have been junk free for almost 3 years, until now. what i want to know is could this be some kind of virus sending out stuff from my computer or could it be that there's someone who can access my hotmail account? These are two letters i've got recently: 1. From : <postmaster@localegal.co.uk> Sent : Monday, October 18, 2004 10:16 AM To : my hotmail address (sorry just in case) Subject : Delivery Status Notification (Failure) | | | Inbox Hotmail has permanently blocked the following potentially unsafe attachment(s): document_jswede1.pif (0.04 MB) More Info... This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. jswede1@localegal.co.uk From: <my hotmail address> To: jswede1@localegal.co.uk Subject: Re: Message Error Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 10:16 AM New message is available. +++ Attachment: No Virus found +++ Kaspersky AntiVirus - www.kaspersky.com 2. From : Sent : Friday, October 8, 2004 10:37 AM To : my hotmail address Subject : Delivery Status Notification (Failure) | | | Inbox Hotmail has permanently blocked the following potentially unsafe attachment(s): message.pif (0.04 MB) More Info... This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. c@localegal.co.uk From: From : Sent : Friday, October 8, 2004 10:37 AM To: my hotmail address Subject: Re: read it immediately Sent: Friday, October 8, 2004 10:42 AM Requested file. if anyone knows what's going on i would really appreciate your help, even if you just say that i'm slightly paranoid over some regular spam i would feel much better. thank you merle

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Guest_sultan_emerr_*

Guest_sultan_emerr_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:46 PM

Just delete them, and send an email to everyone in your address book and ask them to run a virus scan on their pc. (and it would'nt hurt to run one on your pc, just in case)