Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Hotmail sending spam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The big ugly one

The big ugly one

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:14 AM

Hi, I use hotmail and recently it has started sending spam e-mails to contacts in my address book. I have scanned my computer for viruses using Mcafee and Malwarebytes but these have found nothing. Any ideas? I haven't clicked any suspicious links or input my password anywhere that I am aware of. Thanks Wayne

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

If your PC is sending spam then you have an infection, there is no other explanation I have heard of that could do this, the fact the scans you have run report nothing doesn't mean your not infected, it just means those scanners are not aware of this yet, or it's outside of they're scanning protocols, my best advice is do not use Hotmail until your cleaned up, and ask the pro's for help in the infections section, but you haven't mentioned if your using web mail or direct from your PC ? Either way a pro may be aware of your situation and know the best tool to use, I could suggest scans but it's not always wise to blindly attack things as it can make it harder for the pro's to resolve, so my best advice ATM is go to the infection section and ask the pro's for help, tell them the scans you've run, and tell them if it's web mail or from your PC as that may help them narrow it down, but I would hold back from sending mails until this is clear, isp's have been known to take action against spammers even if it's not they're fault, it's often the first many people become aware of it, but thats the best advice I can offer at this time, hope it helps.

Braindead

#3 The big ugly one

The big ugly one

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for the advice :) For the record it is web based mail. Wayne