Using Dell Latitude notebook; Windows 2K with current SP; Internet Explorer 6; McAfee AV8.
On 10/14 got the REG/LOW Zones trojan. Scanning with McAfee 8 removes several exe files. However, several html files remain. Embedded in the html files are javascripts that point to several web sites.
When I disconnect and reconnet to the internet the trojan re-appears. I believe the trojan is within the pc and I need help removing it.
I've used these programs: McAfee VirusScan 8, CSShredder, Stinger: all with no results. I was pointed to this forum by a moderator at a McAfee forum.
I've run the Hijack This program and the initial results are posted below:
——————————————
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:38:30 AM, on 10/16/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
The scan is below. Is it odd that the nghj.exe file was not in the sys32 folder? The helpxx file was there and I deleted it (and obviously, all files were un-hidden).
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 10:46:33 AM, on 10/16/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
And one additional question (a little bit embarassing though it is):
I've purchased but not yet received a firewall. Would the firewall have prevented this trojan from entering my pc??
Since you have "open ports" whenever connected to the Internet, a good, reliable firewall would seem to be a "must". But they could have gotten in by other means - faulty browser settings, clicking the wrong thing, bundled with other software, the list goes on and on.
Look over my list of things to help prevent infections, and decide which ones are right for you.
GOD bless!!!
M68
Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:
Read "How did I get infected in the first place?" here:
A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.
Follow safe Internet practices:
1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.
2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.
3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.
4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.
5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link (Click for address) Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.
If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI