Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Rundll32 Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 our_will

our_will

Authentic Member

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 03:57 PM

Could someone help me with this problem My O/S is windows ME When I go into Add/Remove then Select Windows setup I keep getting a "Rundll32 has caused An error in setupx.dll" message could anyone please give any advice on how to fix this Thank You

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 'KotaGuy

'KotaGuy

Retired Staff-Malware Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:57 PM

Hi ourwilly!

Could you try something for me. I'd like you to try and reinstall both rundll32.exe and setupx.dll. You may need your WindowsME CD for this.

You may also want to create a System Restore point before doing this if you haven't done so recently. To create a System Restore point, click Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and then click System Restore. Choose to Create a Restore point.

Now, go to Start>Program>Accessories>System Tools>System Information and click on the Tools tab and select System Configuration Utility.

Click on the Extract file option and give the names of the two files, setupx.dll and rundll32.exe and specify the directory where your windows installation files are present.

In case you get an error saying not being able to extract file because files are in use, then you will have to use a boot disk to boot into DOS and use the extract command to extract the files.

To create a Windows ME boot diskette click Start>Settings>Control Panel. Open up Add Remove Programs. Click the Startup Disk and create disk. You will need a blank floppy in your floppy drive for this.

If replacing the files doesn't work, as a last resort, try using the same files present on a Windows 98 SE install instead of your Windows Me files.

The info for this fix is here: http://www.lucky-web...oswindows.shtml right at the top of the page.

Seems to cover the exact problem you are having.

I could only find this entry: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;177847 in the online Microsoft Knowledge Base about that error. But this doesn't really describe your problem.

I have a registry patch, on CD somewhere, that I got from a MS MVP that fixes this problem too... I just can't seem to find it at the moment.

Let me know how it goes.

#3 our_will

our_will

Authentic Member

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:31 AM

To KotaGuy Thank's for your reply hope you don't mind me asking one or two things before I take your advice I have searched for both setupx.dll and Rundll32.exe files and found them both in the C:\windows\system and the C:\windows\options\Install Folder I have also found RUNDLL32 in C:\windows 1/ I would like to ask, if you want me to or is it safe to delete all of the above first and then extract if from me CD or would it just overwrite them anyway 2/ Also where to put them would it be in the C:\windows\options\Install\ folder Thank You ourwilly

#4 'KotaGuy

'KotaGuy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:39 PM

Don't delete the files, they will be overwritten. C:\windows\options\Install\ is where the files should be extracted from. Extract them to C:\windows\ If the files aren't found in the Install folder, you should be able to find them in the win9x folder of your Windows ME CD. Once, the files have been overwritten, reboot and see if you can access the Windows Setup in Add/Remove programs.

#5 our_will

our_will

Authentic Member

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:13 AM

To KotaGuy Followed your instuctions and re-installed both files into the C:\Windows folder the re-booted but still getting the same message. I don't have a problem with the Add/Remove feature and the create a Start-up disk feature is there too and I don't seem to be having any real major problems anywhere else Clean of any Virus and of Spyware too I'd like to thank you for your time ourwilly

#6 'KotaGuy

'KotaGuy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:13 AM

Try extracting and overwriting each instance of rundll32.exe and setupx.dll, instead of just the ones in C:\Windows. Where ever you fnid either one of the files, overwrite it with the extracted file. Reboot and see if that helps. I'll see if I can find that Regfix for ya.

#7 our_will

our_will

Authentic Member

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:34 AM

Thank's KotaGuy I'll go and try that ourwilly