Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't Uninstall Avg Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gorf

gorf

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 12:08 PM

Hi all. I have been trying to uninstall AVG free edition,,,plan to use another antivirus program since avg let me down and I got a nasty trojan. Problem is that it won't let me uninstall,,says c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt the system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows apps. Have tried to reinstall the antivirus to see if the uninstall is annoyed or something but I get the same error message when I try to reinstall. Any ideas ??

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 our_will

our_will

Authentic Member

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 04:56 PM

Hi gorf 1/Sorry I had to Edit this reading your post I'm guessing your system is clean now if not try this first 2/ Turn off your computer You then must unplug from the internet then re-boot in safe mode by pressing F8 after the boot-up screen at this point if you may want to try to delete AVG 3/Go to My Computer / local disk © / program files and delete the AVG folder then select Start/search/files and folders/and do a search for AVG be "careful " to what you delete at this point then reboot in normal mode 4/Try using hijackthis to stop AVG too if its still running when you reboot I also recommend getting Ad-aware SE Build 1.05, update and run this aswell Please try all of this first and let me know how you got on

Edited by ourwilly, 09 October 2004 - 05:54 PM.

#3 gorf

gorf

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 09:32 PM

It was actually a problem with the autoexec.nt file,,not the avg per se. I had to make a copy of the file from window\repair and put it into the system32 folder,,,then the program uninstalled as it should. Thanx alot for your response. I have done a couple of posts in the past few days and everyone has been super helpful and quick to respond. Keep up the great work!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :wavey: PS I now have panda v7.04 platinum running,,,have your heard about any problems with it??

#4 our_will

our_will

Authentic Member

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 05:00 AM

Hi gorf Glad you've sorted out your little problem and hope Panda does not let you down have not heard anything bad about it myself May I ask what type of Firewall you are using at this time or maybe thinking of using in future ourwilly

#5 gorf

gorf

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:14 AM

Morning ourwilly(well it's morning here) I've got the windows firewall that came with syspak 2, external router, and giving Panda firewall a try(came with the program). If all else fails will probably give zone alarm a shot. Any other suggestions?

#6 our_will

our_will

Authentic Member

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:21 AM

Again I hope that Panda gives you no reason to change The last few of weeks I've been using " Norton AntiVirus/Firewall 2005" It's working spot on at the minute and very clear to use, It's one I recommend at this time if you want to part with your cash If you ever want to try something else on the free side of things I've read more good things about the Sygate Firewall than I have about Zone Alarms , even though a bit more complex, a lot more people who in the past have used both say that Sygate is better. Hope this helps ourwilly

#7 spikeanded

spikeanded

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:44 PM

Hello. I am having exactly the same problem in uninstalling AVG free. I did a search, and my Windows\system32 folder doesn't contain an autoexec.nt file. can you explain exaclty how to use windows\repair to create that file. Is your computer now OK after doing that? Thanks.

#8 gorf

gorf

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:44 PM

Hi spikeanded Have you done a search for the autoexec.nt file itself? It may not be in the windows/system32 folder,,,that was the problem I had in the first place. I had to make a copy of that file, ie, the autoexec.nt file and put it into the system32 folder,,it happened to be in the windows/repair folder. Then the avg would uninstall ok. You may have luck reinstalling the program and then trying to uninstall,,,unfortuneately this didn't work for me but give it a shot if you can't find the autoexec.nt file,,,,but it should be living in windows somewhere. Best of luck!

#9 Mad Mike

Mad Mike

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:54 PM

If all else fails will probably give zone alarm a shot.

Hello Gorf, About Zone Alarm, I really like it. I installed it just before uninstalling Norton Anti-virus and Norton System works after which I installed Avast Home Edition. I like the Zone Alarm because I can go in and tailor the firewall to my specific needs. :thumbup: