Hi all.
I have been trying to uninstall AVG free edition,,,plan to use another antivirus program since avg let me down and I got a nasty trojan.
Problem is that it won't let me uninstall,,says c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt the system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows apps. Have tried to reinstall the antivirus to see if the uninstall is annoyed or something but I get the same error message when I try to reinstall.
Any ideas ??
It was actually a problem with the autoexec.nt file,,not the avg per se. I had to make a copy of the file from window\repair and put it into the system32 folder,,,then the program uninstalled as it should.
Thanx alot for your response.
I have done a couple of posts in the past few days and everyone has been super helpful and quick to respond. Keep up the great work!!
PS I now have panda v7.04 platinum running,,,have your heard about any problems with it??
Hi gorf
Glad you've sorted out your little problem
and hope Panda does not let you down
have not heard anything bad about it myself
May I ask what type of Firewall you are using at this time
or maybe thinking of using in future
ourwilly
Morning ourwilly(well it's morning here)
I've got the windows firewall that came with syspak 2, external router, and giving Panda firewall a try(came with the program).
If all else fails will probably give zone alarm a shot.
Any other suggestions?
Again I hope that Panda gives you no reason to change
The last few of weeks I've been using " Norton AntiVirus/Firewall 2005"
It's working spot on at the minute and very clear to use, It's one I recommend at this time if you want to part with your cash
If you ever want to try something else on the free side of things I've read more good things about the Sygate Firewall than I have about Zone Alarms , even though a bit more complex, a lot more people who in the past have used both say that Sygate is better.
Hope this helps
ourwilly
Hello. I am having exactly the same problem in uninstalling AVG free. I did a search, and my Windows\system32 folder doesn't contain an autoexec.nt file. can you explain exaclty how to use windows\repair to create that file. Is your computer now OK after doing that? Thanks.
Hi spikeanded
Have you done a search for the autoexec.nt file itself? It may not be in the windows/system32 folder,,,that was the problem I had in the first place. I had to make a copy of that file, ie, the autoexec.nt file and put it into the system32 folder,,it happened to be in the windows/repair folder.
Then the avg would uninstall ok.
You may have luck reinstalling the program and then trying to uninstall,,,unfortuneately this didn't work for me but give it a shot if you can't find the autoexec.nt file,,,,but it should be living in windows somewhere.
Best of luck!
If all else fails will probably give zone alarm a shot.
Hello Gorf, About Zone Alarm, I really like it. I installed it just before uninstalling Norton Anti-virus and Norton System works after which I installed Avast Home Edition. I like the Zone Alarm because I can go in and tailor the firewall to my specific needs.