This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Xp Sp2 Update

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I have a big problem since downloading XP Service pack 2 in that it has disabled my better half's internet/email access. We operate seperate desktops each with our own password access and since the update, whenever she doubleclicks the ISP connection on her desktop, nothing happens. I've contacted my ISP (BT) and they say this is a known problem with SP2 and I should contact Microsoft, but knowing that getting a response from MS is like 'pulling teeth', I was wondering if there is there anybody out there who can help? Essentially her internet connection icon does nothing and when I go to Network Connection via her control panel, it's completely empty. The BT team talked me through setting up a new connection and everything went smoothly until we hit 'finish' whereupon I got a: "Network Configuration warning" that said "Unable to create the specified connection. This can be caused by insufficient memory or not enough disk space". However, there is over 30GB of free space on the PC!! The icon and connection on my desktop are working fine and I've been on the net but have not been able to find anything specific to this problem with XP. Can anyone help? Thanks.
I got the same message when hitting the finish button when setting up a VPN connection on my pc with SP2 installed. The Dial up is there when looking in internet properties but all I can do is connect to the internet. Again my nextwork places is empty. Any solutions? Thanks
I seem to have resolved this problem. Open Control Panel then Administrative tools then Services. Check on the status of Network Connections. On my pc this was set to disabled. Setting it to automatic start, by double clicking to get the properties up, resolved the problem of missing icons and I was able to set up VPN rather than getting the error message about lack of memory/hard disk space. Hope this works for you