Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Slow Starting Laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DonMania

DonMania

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:08 PM

Hi All, I would greatly appreciate any help on the following. I recently installed XP SP2 through Automatic Update. My laptop (Compaq, 1.5 GHz Centrino, 512 MB RAM) froze during installation and refused to restart (it would stay on the "Windows is starting" screen). I contacted Microsoft and they asked me to restart in safe mode and manually register 4 ".DLL" files. My computer works fine now. EXCEPT, the start up takes anywhere from 4-7 minutes. In particular, it takes forever on the "Windows is starting.." and the "Welcome" screens. Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nerelda

Nerelda

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:08 PM

This is a very well known issue with SP2 for XP Home edition. So far, the only way Ive heard how to fix it was to reformat your HD and reinstall everything. If you decide to do this, PLEASE make sure that you backup all your data first.