This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Slow Starting Laptop

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hi All, I would greatly appreciate any help on the following. I recently installed XP SP2 through Automatic Update. My laptop (Compaq, 1.5 GHz Centrino, 512 MB RAM) froze during installation and refused to restart (it would stay on the "Windows is starting" screen). I contacted Microsoft and they asked me to restart in safe mode and manually register 4 ".DLL" files. My computer works fine now. EXCEPT, the start up takes anywhere from 4-7 minutes. In particular, it takes forever on the "Windows is starting.." and the "Welcome" screens. Thanks in advance for your help!
This is a very well known issue with SP2 for XP Home edition. So far, the only way Ive heard how to fix it was to reformat your HD and reinstall everything. If you decide to do this, PLEASE make sure that you backup all your data first.