New Sasser Worm?
Posted 06 August 2004 - 10:21 PM
Register to Remove
Posted 05 September 2004 - 10:44 AM
Removing Sasser from your computer.
Sasser is a worm that spreads itself via the Internet. An unprotected Windows XP machine will get Sasser within just a few minutes of being put on the ‘net. To protect your system run Windows Update regularly and use a firewall (a broadband router will do fine).
To remove the Sasser infection follow these steps:
1. Disconnect from the Internet.
2. Disable Sasser to keep your system from rebooting. Click Start, select Run… and enter shutdown -a then press OK. That will stop the worm.
3. Turn on your Windows XP firewall. Open Network Connections, right-click your network connection icon and select Properties. Click the Advanced tab and turn on the firewall. This will prevent reinfection.
4. Reconnect to the Internet
5. Update your anti-virus and disinfect your computer, or download the free Sasser removal tool from SARC.
6. Run Windows Update and install all critical updates. You should do this regularly.
* Viruses Tags Along eWeek March 29, 2004. You can get infected with a virus just by reading an email message.
* Why Are Virus Attacks Getting Worse? By John C. Dvorak in PC Magazine March 8, 2004
* Set Antivirus Software for Maximum Protection Activate crucial settings to ensure that your system is completely protected. From the January 2003 issue of PC World.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users