This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Specific game crashes on brand new computer, looking for debug help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Windows 11

i5-12400f

RXT 6600XT

32g sdram (3200M)

Dual Monitors

 

Game being played is Path of Exile.

 

Game never crashed on old machine (which was running windows 10 and was only using a single monitor).

 

Game will crash with no errors that I can see, just dumps me back to the desktop.   I don't have to be doing anything.  I can see it happen at the login screen if I wait there long enough.

 

Seems to crash any where from almost instantly to about 5 minutes of game play.

 

The game appears to be running perfectly up until the time it just crashes.

 

I am unsure where to even begin debugging….

 

I am going to try and run with one monitor to see if that makes any difference….

I think I may have found the culprit. I ran the windows memory diagnostic and it had already detected problems.

I need to let the test finish then I will try and reseat the dram and if that does not work I will try switching to the other two dram slots on the motherboard

I reseated the SDRAM, and the Windows Memory Diagnostic passed this time.

 

Unfortunately the game is still crashing.

 

I just performed a Windows 11 update but that also did not fix the problem.

 

I am going to start updating drivers one by one in the Device Manager.

I have one new piece of information.  Typically the game crashed back to the desk top.  But most recently I got a BSOD with a Kernel Security Check error.

Memtest86 has failed! I can see the same bit in the data is wrong each time it fails (sometimes stuck high, sometimes stuck low). One of my modules must be on the edge.

 

I think what I need to do after memtest86 completes, is to remove one dram and retest. Hopefully I can isolate it down to one module……

 

edit: I found the module that was having problems. I am running with just one module now. Memtest86 completed with no errors. I have been running my game for by far the longest period of time with no crashes.

 

I am keeping my fingers crossed but I think I found the problem.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI