I realise this is a common topic, but I have an Acer laptop running Windows 10 (Christmas present last year) and it has been gradually getting slower as time goes on. I have a PC which runs Linux and Windows 7 as a dual boot setup and it literally flies compared to the laptop. For me, it is most noticeable when using programs such as Word and Excel where I type something and nothing happens for a few seconds and then suddenly catches up with what I have typed. I get the feeling there are a lot of processes running in the background which are slowing down my laptop. Hopefully, you can shed some light on my circumstances.
NOTE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
save the files as fixlist.txt in the same folder as FRST – NOTE: It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work
run FRST64 then click Fix just once and wait
it will create a log on your desktop, (Fixlog.txt); please post it to your reply.
================================================
Uninstall programmes
You have a lot of ‘bloatware' that Acer pre-installed and, apart from being useless and intrusive, it’s using up resources. I suggest that you uninstall all of it. Your choice of course but if you choose to, do the following:
Press the Windows Key + R at the same time, then type appwiz.cpl then Enter.
Uninstall the following programmes:
Google Update Helper
Acer Configuration Manager
Acer Jumpstart
Care Center Service
DriverSetupUtility
Quick Access Service
User Experience Improvement Program Service
Note: if you’ve chosen to leave Acer’s programmes, uninstall Google Update Helper.
================================================
Download and run AdwCleaner
Download AdwCleaner from here and save it to your desktop.
run AdwCleaner by clicking on Scan Now
when it has finished, leave everything that was found checked, (ticked), then click on Clean and Repair
if it asks to reboot, allow the reboot
on reboot a log will be produced; please attach the content of the log to your next reply.
================================================
Please run FRST again and make sure there is a checkmark next to ‘Addition.txt’ before you hit Scan.
Logs to include with next post:
Fixlog.txt
AdwCleaner log
New Frst.txt
New Addition.txt
There is no sign of malware on your computer but some tidying up to be done. Also, there are too many programmes using up resources.
Uninstall programmes
You have a lot of ‘bloatware' that Acer pre-installed and, apart from being useless and intrusive, it’s using up resources. I suggest that you uninstall all of it. Your choice of course but if you choose to, do the following:
Press the Windows Key + R at the same time, then type appwiz.cpl then Enter.
Uninstall the following programmes:
Google Update Helper
Acer Configuration Manager
Acer Jumpstart
Care Center Service
DriverSetupUtility
Quick Access Service
User Experience Improvement Program Service
Note: if you’ve chosen to leave Acer’s programmes, uninstall Google Update Helper.
================================================
Download and run AdwCleaner
Download AdwCleaner from here and save it to your desktop.
run AdwCleaner by clicking on Scan Now
when it has finished, leave everything that was found checked, (ticked), then click on Clean and Repair
if it asks to reboot, allow the reboot
on reboot a log will be produced; please attach the content of the log to your next reply.
================================================
Please run FRST again and make sure there is a checkmark next to ‘Addition.txt’ before you hit Scan.
Logs to include with next post:
Fixlog.txt
AdwCleaner log
New Frst.txt
New Addition.txt
Thanks
Satchfan
I have removed the suggested programs. I suspected that there was unneeded stuff running in the background and suspected Win 10 as the main culprit. Requested files are attached. There were 2 log files in the c:\AdwCleaner\Logs directory which I have attached.
Not that I can see. Now that I've had a bit of time to use it, there has been a noticeable increase in performance. I've noticed my Internet speeds are better too so there must have been some bloat in the background slowing things down.
I do need to do the same with my wife's laptop, but I'll upgrade it to Win 10 2004 first and take it from there.