This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Laptop cranky in various ways; worse since auto-upgrde by Win 10

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Greetings again

 

Inspiron 15 with win 10 has been getting a little funky for awhile.  Yesterday it cavalierly updated itself, threw out my Easy File Locker program which it said was now incompatible with the OS, and the crankiness increased.

 

The main symptom before was typing on, say, Facebook.  Lots of delay before letters show up, or backspace works.

Now that is occurring in this post, but also typing offline on notepad.  Also delay or hanging with the mouse, also just on my own desktop.

 

Probably time for a checkup, unless there is some specific known problem with the latest upgrades within Win 10?

 

 

Totally separate matter if anyone has a comment:  Just lately when I type the letter a I get nothing sometimes.

Can't figure out if this is a key problem, or a typing posture problem, or poor adaptation to the laptop keyboard, or sloppy work with the left pinky.  Happens on q sometimes, too.

Thing is, it's getting worse, and I have been using the laptop a couple years.

 

denno

Hi denno,

looking firstly at the keyboard type issues, a wise first step would be to plug in an external (USB) keyboard and see if it's any better when using it.

 

Next I would be inclined to perform a Win 10 refresh..see below;

 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc

 

as this could solve a few problems. (Including the keyboard issues)

As always do make sure your back ups are all 100 % watertight and with multiple copies with at least one kept safe offsite on removable media, before doing it

 

The refresh should keep all your documents photos etc (I did say should!) but its best to check your back ups anyway!.

 

The refresh could take out some of your applications/programmes, the info you need is in the link above and explains what happens and how to go about it.

Yes you are right Win 10 update/upgrades are going to be a regular feature for this operating system

Regards

paws

Hi, Paws, and thanks for the quick answer.  I''d had the impression the Win 10 refresh ditched everything.  Not so, then.  I'll give the thing a try.

I do type better sitting at a desk with a regular keyboard than I do leaning back a bit on the recliner with the laptop.  I've seen my wife type lying down in bed with the laptop propped against her knees; but she doesn't really touch type.  I'll run that test, too.

 

Probably take me a few days to go over instructions, check my backups (iDrive) and run the refresh.

 

Addendum: scrolling is always a pain.  Especially on online pages, but in Thunderbird.  I should check and pay attention whether that applies to offline docs as well.

 

Of course, online pages go on and on loading their ads and click sensors, and pictures, so when one tries to click on a spot or scroll somewhere the page suddenly jumps under the cursor….dunno if this also interferes with scrolling.  We live slightly remotely and are glad to have DSL.  They mumble about cable someday…

 

denno

Next "Yeah, but…"

 

The page you sent me to above tells how to refresh Win 8.

All the same for Win 10?

I'm nervous because of a former mess in which a windows techie remotely refreshed or reinstalled and the process included dumping of all my files, and I lost some stuff because of my incomplete understanding of whether hidden files are backed up.

 

So according to plan, I compulsively ask again, I push the refresh button and it'll fix the poor way my computer is behaving and all I will have to do is reload some programs……?

Downright obsessive question:  are there any programs that store their resulting files within themselves (Audacity, for example) which files will go away with the program unless I am canny enough to find where they are stored and add them to my backup list?  Hey—-Thunderbird.  Would saved e-mails be in that category?  (I remember figuring out a couple-three years ago some complicated and creative way of retrieving e-mails in Thunderbird, for which you complimented me.) 

 

I'll see if I can answer that one in the meantime.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI