Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows XP & Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sal99

Sal99

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:54 AM

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone might be able to advise me on how to upgrade 2 Dell laptops to Microsoft 10, or if it is actually possible, as when searching for upgrades on Amazon, I can't seem to find an upgrade for Vista, and after contacting a PC repair shop, the owner informed me that it is not possible, and that I should just buy a new laptop, which I am not in a situation to do so at this particular time, and so I just wanted to check if this is indeed the case.

Many thanks in advance for your help and assistance.

Sal

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:57 PM

No upgrade path from Vista to Windows 10. You will need to buy a installation key for each Laptop you want to upgrade.

PCWorld is currently running an offer that expires the end of June 2020.

Get Windows 10 Pro for $39.99 - PCWorld

I bought one even though I have no need at the moment, couldn't pass up the price. All you really get is the installation key and a link to download Windows 10 (Multi version, Home/Pro) which you can also download using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. If you use the MCT you can have it create a Installation USB Flash drive for you that you can then use to Clean Install Windows 10 with, which is the only option you will have since there is no upgrade capability from Vista to Windows 10.

I would recommend creating a image backup of your system before you do the clean install since the drive will be completely wiped. I recommend using Macrium Reflect Free or Home and backing up to an External USB Hard Drive (1TB USE SATA III SSD available for $50 to $0).

I would do the backup first then do a Clean Install of Windows 10 (use MCT) to the Laptop before buying a key. When asked for the key, select Skip. If the install works, then buy the Windows 10 key. No point in spending money if the Laptop is not capable of running Windows 10.

What is the full model number of the Dell laptops, what are it's specs. How much RAM do they have, how big is the hard drive?

Requirements:

1. 1 GHz or faster processor or SoC processor
  2. 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit RAM
  3. 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS Hard disk space
  4. DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver Graphics card
  5. 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2

Edited by Ztruker, 25 June 2020 - 12:58 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Marrh67

Marrh67

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:10 AM

No upgrade path from Vista to Windows 10. You will need to buy a installation key for each Laptop you want to upgrade.

This is why I do nothing about  Windows upgrade on my computer.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:17 PM

This is why I do nothing about  Windows upgrade on my computer.

??? Don't understand your response.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown