This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP & Vista

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there,

 

I'm hoping someone might be able to advise me on how to upgrade 2 Dell laptops to Microsoft 10, or if it is actually possible, as when searching for upgrades on Amazon, I can't seem to find an upgrade for Vista, and after contacting a PC repair shop, the owner informed me that it is not possible, and that I should just buy a new laptop, which I am not in a situation to do so at this particular time, and so I just wanted to check if this is indeed the case.

 

Many thanks in advance for your help and assistance.

 

Sal

No upgrade path from Vista to Windows 10. You will need to buy a installation key for each Laptop you want to upgrade.
 
PCWorld is currently running an offer that expires the end of June 2020.

Get Windows 10 Pro for $39.99 - PCWorld

I bought one even though I have no need at the moment, couldn't pass up the price. All you really get is the installation key and a link to download Windows 10 (Multi version, Home/Pro) which you can also download using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. If you use the MCT you can have it create a Installation USB Flash drive for you that you can then use to Clean Install Windows 10 with, which is the only option you will have since there is no upgrade capability from Vista to Windows 10.

 

I would recommend creating a image backup of your system before you do the clean install since the drive will be completely wiped. I recommend using Macrium Reflect Free or Home and backing up to an External USB Hard Drive (1TB USE SATA III SSD available for $50 to $0).

 

I would do the backup first then do a Clean Install of Windows 10 (use MCT) to the Laptop before buying a key. When asked for the key, select Skip. If the install works, then buy the Windows 10 key. No point in spending money if the Laptop is not capable of running Windows 10.

 

What is the full model number of the Dell laptops, what are it's specs. How much RAM do they have, how big is the hard drive?

 

Requirements:

 

  1. 1 GHz or faster processor or SoC processor
  2. 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit RAM
  3. 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS Hard disk space
  4. DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver Graphics card
  5. 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2

 

No upgrade path from Vista to Windows 10. You will need to buy a installation key for each Laptop you want to upgrade.
 

This is why I do nothing about  Windows upgrade on my computer.

 

 

No upgrade path from Vista to Windows 10. You will need to buy a installation key for each Laptop you want to upgrade.
 

This is why I do nothing about  Windows upgrade on my computer.

 

 

??? Don't understand your response.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI