This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Verify Identity-wesireal

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

There have been a number of identified "glitches".  Odds are that none of them will effect you… but there are so many of them that I would refrain from installing until Microsoft gets it fixed (and even though they have acknowledged the problems, that have not projected a solution yet).

 

The "big" issues that I've heard of have to do with printers connected via USB.  External monitors.  Connectivity issues with USB wifi adapters.  I do not believe that any of these would cause me issues on my system… but I'd still refrain from the install until things get smoothed out.

 

Your mileage may vary.

Apparently, MS give a warning when you try to update to 2004 if your machine is "not ready". However, I agree with Tom and 'ready or not', I won't be updating mine at the moment.

Would like to mention it has been causing a good amount of BSOD's

 

I don't deal well with those, printer issues, or someone or something messing with the computer.

If you are doing image backups using a program like Macrium Reflect to an external USB attached hard drive then trying the 2004 upgrade in a no-brainer. If it works great, continue to use it. If it doesn't, restore the Macrium Reflect backup you created just before you did the 2004 update and you're right back where you were when the image was created.

 

If you're not doing image backups you should be. External USB SSD drives are cheap now days, $50 to $60 for a 1TB Samsung Canvio SATA III. Even if you don't do the upgrade you should start doing backups, it's one thing you'll never be sorry you started doing.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI