Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Hello Juliet!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 daveix

daveix

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:computers, music, cars and food :-)

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:04 AM

Hello Juliet!  :adios: 

...and thank you for quick response to my post about the Trojan wlanext.exe - which turned out to be a Trojan-like thing that backdoors a crypto-currency miner. I probably picked it up at Piratebay - they have later on admitted being part in this kind of activity as an alternative to adds for financing the torrent site they are running. At the same time I also picked up another file, and along with that one I probably got a small devil that managed to do some changes to folder attributes. That's probably the reason I couldn't get apps to register properly. I had to run them as administrator (I normally don't) so they could be able to write to the register etc. I'm sorry it took this long to respond, but when I was done with fixing the Piratebay stuff, Microsoft managed to force a windows 10 update on me ...messing up so much that I decided to flush everything ...and return to happy days, before life got complicated - I'm the lucky owner of a decent disk clone :whistling:

Eric :banana:

Thanx for useful URL's added to your last post - sorry about the disturbing avatar! ...also, to be able to get back to you I had to start this topic.

(distracting Avatar removed by paws)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,686 posts
  • Interests:Boo!....
  • MVP

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:28 AM

Wow,  that sounds like a complicated route to have to follow but,  glad you reformatted and fixed it.  Not sure if I could had you run tools to find that.

I think you took the best route tho.

It was the lights flashing on the avatar that hurt my eyes, and lights are a trigger to people who suffer from migraines. Only people who have migraines can relate.

Safe surfing.

Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings...

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, WI-MVP 2016-17
Antivirus Scanners Online Scanners Firewalls Slow Computer??