I have been trying unsuccessfully to remove a French version of the Met. Police scam from my daughters notepad.
My first attempts started with trying to run system restore but I ended up using regedit and reinstating explorer.exe in Shell This looked promising at first. I restarted the computer, but failed to remove
what I believe was the offending trojan which looked something like cmd.exe\k-start up… or something along those line. unfortunately should have made a note of it.
All subsequent attampts to use regedit from the commmand prompt fail because the registry info does not propagate into the form which remains blank.
Other froms such as config.sys suffer now from the same problem. I thought I would use a Kaspersky rescue disk but her notepad has no CD/DVD drive and I don't think
I can boot the system from a USB flash drive,(or am I mistaken about this?)
In addition many attempts to log on ultimately end up with WINDOWS shutting down to protect its self. Something to do with Pool something or other
sorry can't be more precise as I'm working from memory and don't have her computer here.
If anybody can shed light on these problems I'd be very grateful
Kind Regards
Nick.
I would be more than happy to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems you might have. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and know that I am working hard to get you a clean and functional system back in your hands. I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete, download or install anything unless instructed to do so. DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision. Doing so could make your system inoperable and could require a full reinstall of your Operating System and losing all your programs and data.
Vista and Windows 7 users:
These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
with Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")
Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.
Having said that….Let's get going!!
==========================
[external image: Posted Image]FRST
Download the 32 bit or 64 bit version for your system of FRST and save it to a flash drive.
Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.
Enter System Recovery Options.
To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
Restart the computer.
As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
Select your user account an click Next.
To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
Insert the installation disc.
Restart your computer.
If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
Click Repair your computer.
Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
Select your user account and click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
[*]Select Command Prompt
[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.
[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
[*]Press Scan button.
[*]It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.