Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

VM security

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:19 AM

I am using Windows sandbox to see if this goes through giving me more security.

My question is, if I use a VM would I have more security surfing the web?

I know of Oracle and VM ware. The third I heard of is Windows VM. I think with one or two window sand box has to be off but with all three virtualization must be on.

I would like to work on a VM which would have to be commensurate with my average level.

Once I saw a video of the MS One and it was difficult. I think windows features> Hyper V must be on.

Please correct me.

Edited by Peter1, 15 January 2020 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

Windows VM is Hyper-V. There was XP Mode in Windows 7 but that does not exist in Windows 10.

I think the easiest to setup and play with is Oracle Virtual Box.  I've never used VMWare.
Hyper-V is also pretty easy buyt has a few gotchas if you're not careful.

None can cause you any harm, just annoyances. Play with them and see what you think.

There is an old but good tutorial here on Hyper-V by Keri (the Finn): Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Jacee

Jacee

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,695 posts
  • MVP

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

More tutorials on VM Ware........ https://www.tenforum...Virtualization/

MS MVP-Security 2006~2016

#4 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:32 AM

It appears as though Oracle is easiest.  I have virtualization enabled but have not understood if hyper v need to be checked or not.  I think I read Oracle cannot be run with hyper v enabled. I think all I do is enable virtualization but once again correct me if wrong.

I may see about Oracle but the native sandbox seems to be pretty good for safe surfing and trying out new things.I did post here originally from within the sand box.  First I will see about the limitations of sand box  with only virtualization enabled.  If OK I will use just that. If I need more I will try Oracle.

I now am trying to copy and paste from the sand box to the OS and keeping that folder in the OS when the sandbox is closed.

Does anyone know if you can remove and entry fro the firewall where it says to 'allow' and also if the sand box allows for safer surfing?

Thank you all for the tips.

Edited by Peter1, 16 January 2020 - 05:38 AM.

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:43 AM

I see where one can copy and paste an .rtf form sandbox to OS but not Word, which is OK. 

I am going to assume surfing is safer with the sandbox. 

I won't remove an entry so it is a moot point. I had asked because Google said you could but I could n''t. One just disables.

We are all set.I'll report back if I get into the Oracle with YouTube as a guide.                                 

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:20 PM

Oracle VB and Hyper-V cannot be run at the same time. One or the other has to be disabled.

Rich

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:09 AM

Thanks Rich.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:51 AM

See here: Switch easily between VirtualBox and Hyper-V with a BCDEdit boot Entry

Rich

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:39 PM

Rich you certainly know your stuff I read all of that link and it is really interesting Im going to play around with some of these ideas thanks again for your help

#10 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:39 PM

Rich you certainly know your stuff I read all of that link and it is really interesting Im going to play around with some of these ideas thanks again for your help

#11 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

It would be much better if Oracle VB and Hyper-V would play nice together so they could coexist actively on the same system at the same time.

The only thing I currently need OracleVB for is my OS/2 Warp 4 VM as it won't run under Hyper-V.

Rich

#12 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:07 AM

I dont know much about the technology behind either but I always found it odd that I had to check windows features on or off depending on which are used I had built in Oracle machine once but didnt have much luck with it it sounds from your message as though windows hyper V is more functional for a better choice in Oracle