This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

VM security

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am using Windows sandbox to see if this goes through giving me more security.

My question is, if I use a VM would I have more security surfing the web?

I know of Oracle and VM ware. The third I heard of is Windows VM. I think with one or two window sand box has to be off but with all three virtualization must be on.

I would like to work on a VM which would have to be commensurate with my average level.

Once I saw a video of the MS One and it was difficult. I think windows features> Hyper V must be on.

Please correct me.

Windows VM is Hyper-V. There was XP Mode in Windows 7 but that does not exist in Windows 10.
 
I think the easiest to setup and play with is Oracle Virtual Box.  I've never used VMWare.
Hyper-V is also pretty easy buyt has a few gotchas if you're not careful.
 
None can cause you any harm, just annoyances. Play with them and see what you think.
 
There is an old but good tutorial here on Hyper-V by Keri (the Finn): Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

It appears as though Oracle is easiest.  I have virtualization enabled but have not understood if hyper v need to be checked or not.  I think I read Oracle cannot be run with hyper v enabled. I think all I do is enable virtualization but once again correct me if wrong.

I may see about Oracle but the native sandbox seems to be pretty good for safe surfing and trying out new things.I did post here originally from within the sand box.  First I will see about the limitations of sand box  with only virtualization enabled.  If OK I will use just that. If I need more I will try Oracle.

I now am trying to copy and paste from the sand box to the OS and keeping that folder in the OS when the sandbox is closed.

Does anyone know if you can remove and entry fro the firewall where it says to 'allow' and also if the sand box allows for safer surfing?

Thank you all for the tips.

I see where one can copy and paste an .rtf form sandbox to OS but not Word, which is OK. 

I am going to assume surfing is safer with the sandbox. 

I won't remove an entry so it is a moot point. I had asked because Google said you could but I could n''t. One just disables.

We are all set.I'll report back if I get into the Oracle with YouTube as a guide.                                 

Rich you certainly know your stuff I read all of that link and it is really interesting Im going to play around with some of these ideas thanks again for your help
Rich you certainly know your stuff I read all of that link and it is really interesting Im going to play around with some of these ideas thanks again for your help

It would be much better if Oracle VB and Hyper-V would play nice together so they could coexist actively on the same system at the same time.

The only thing I currently need OracleVB for is my OS/2 Warp 4 VM as it won't run under Hyper-V.

I dont know much about the technology behind either but I always found it odd that I had to check windows features on or off depending on which are used I had built in Oracle machine once but didnt have much luck with it it sounds from your message as though windows hyper V is more functional for a better choice in Oracle

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI