Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Laptop printer instructions are not complied with

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:13 AM

My wife's laptop is giving her problems.  She has a Windows 10 o/s.  She wants to print out a document to her Canon MG3120 printer.  She sends the print command.  The printer gets the command and prints out blank pages.  She thinks it is a printer problem so she takes a typed copy, puts in the printer pushes copy and it prints out perfectly.  She then brings her printer to me and tries to print her document out using my Canon MX452 printer.  Again, the printer gets the command but prints out blank copies of the document.  I then ask her to email me the document.  On my laptop I open the document and send the print command to the MX452 and the document prints out.  

I haven't a clue as to why her laptop isn't printing out these documents.  But I sense it's some box that needs to be checked somewhere.  She's been able to print out all her documents easily for months until today.  Can you lend some insight?  

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:41 AM

Uninstall the current driver/software for her printer from Control Panel, Add or remove programs.

Download the latest available from Canon and install it.

When you install, disconnect the USB cable before starting the install. It will tell you when to connect the cable. If you are using WiFi then just follow the instructions.

Edited by Ztruker, 10 August 2019 - 10:42 AM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

I did exactly as you asked.  I deleted the MG3120 printer driver.  Then re-installed a new MG3120 Printer Driver from the link you gave.  I then attempted to connect the laptop via USB to the MG3120 and print out a document.  It sent the printer command and the printer did go through the printing, but there was nothing on the page.  

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:48 PM

Can you print on her printer, the MG3120?

When you installed the printer driver, it should have paused and asked you to connect the USB cable at some point, did it?

What happens if you open Control Panel, Devices and Printers the right click on the MG3120 and select Printer Properties then click the Print a test page button?

Edited by Ztruker, 11 August 2019 - 12:54 PM.

Rich

#5 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:17 PM

When I installed the printer driver there was a screen that asked me to connect the USB cable and wait. I did so, the computer found the printer and moved on to the complete installation screen.  I clicked OK and thought that might have corrected the problem. I was able to send a TEST print command to the MG3120.  The printer was able to print out a graphic (small image of a printer in upper right of page) but no text.  I then tried to print a document with a picture and it printed the picture but not any text.  

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

Sounds like you may be out of black ink.

Rich

#7 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:52 PM

I believe the problem has been solved. I opened Control Panel/MG3120/Printer Properties/Advanced and de-selected "enable Advanced printer properties."  And now it seems to print the text OK.  Not sure why this works but it apparently has solved my problem.  thank you for your able bodied assistance.  

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

God, glad you got it working. Wonder what the heck Advanced Printer Properties does?

Rich

#9 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:56 AM

I'm not sure but de-selecting it in the Advanced section of printer properties made the computer able to print the text vs. just graphics.  Strange?  Yes, strange.

Attached Thumbnails

• MG3100 print feature.JPG

#10 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:54 AM

It looks like Advanced Printing features is kind of a legacy switch left over from the NT days.  https://www.papercut...rintingFeatures

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#11 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:34 PM

I have the setting on my Brother HL-2270DW and MFC-J615W and it's enabled on both. Print fine from all PCs.

Rich