This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Slow Network Copy speeds on Windows 10 & 8.1

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My knowledge of computers is limited so please use laymens terms when explaining anything. We have 2 computers on our home network. My computer has Windows 10 Pro and my mother's computer has Win 8.1 Home. In the past I had Windows 7 and She had Windows 8 and when we were networked together the speeds then were fine to copy files back and forth between the computers. I think at times I would get up to 10mb a second. But now the speeds when copying files are extremely slow and have been since I upgraded to Windows 10. The speeds are a fraction of what they were at sometimes well under 100kb per sec and sometimes will even show 0 for a while before increasing. I don't know how to fix this. It even takes a long time for folders to load when I click them on the network. When I click the folder to open it on my network the green bar will advance slowly across the address bar and when I try to copy the files they will take a long time to even start copying let alone complete copying.

 

I tried to follow advice at this link and none of it seemed to work. https://windowsreport.com/fix-slow-lan-speed-pc/ My Windows is up to date and my drivers are up to date too. Disabling Windows auto tune seemed to make the speeds peak at about 179kb per sec rather than 40 or so but nothing huge and it's still really slow. Disable send large offload was already disabled on both ipv4 and ipv6. There was no automatically deactivate gigabit option. Changing the DNS settings made my internet for browsing even slower so I couldn't use that. There was no difference with changing the duplex settings either. Can someone tell me what to do fix this problem? I have to copy many files from my external drive to the drives on our network and it takes too long to do so, thanks to this problem.

 

If it helps you help me to fix the issue my computer is a HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT, Intel Core i5-2400, 3.10GHz with 7gb of memory and a 500 gb hard drive. Our home internet speed is about 15-18 down and 2 mb up. Both of our machines connect via wifi. My mother's computer is an HP Envy 8 with a builtin wifi card. My computer uses a Dlink DWA140 wifi adapter since it's older and has no built in wifi.  I use Windows Explorer to copy the files. I tried FastCopy 3.8, but it was no faster and maybe even slower in copying the files. I have a Linksys AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender / Wi-Fi Booster (RE6350)

connected in my room. The only change was just me upgrading to Windows 10 pro. Nothing else changed. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 

It doesn't look like anyone has had obvious advice for you.
 
I don't think I can do much for you either.
 
You might try using a wired connection instead of wifi.  You can do that be using ethernet over electric adapters like this: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV1000-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B06WP2ZT5N/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6QN7TZ6PKE5M78S20M0J
 
That would eliminate the range extender/booster, as well as the wifi adapter.  That should increase speeds.

Thanks Tomk for your advice. I didn't even know those devices existed. Unfortunately right now my budget is really tight so I would have to hold off on getting one of Ethernet adapters. If others read this please do reply since I'm still looking for a hopefully free solution due to my budget. I would appreciate your answers.

 

Also to Tomk or anyone else who reads this, I'm not technically saavy but am still trying to understand my problem. Is this type of problem usually all about an internet connection? Or are there other factors that contribute to this happening? I was wondering what was going on since the only change was Windows 10 pro on my machine which is working just fine and even better than my old Windows 7 pro setup. I appreciate the chance to learn more about the computer from more saavy users who are able to direct me to better methods to fix and maintain my machine. Thanks.

It shouldn't be about the internet connection, because you don't need connected to the internet to transfer files on a network.  It could be about the network connections, which in your case, are wifi.  Wifi is always slower than wired, and the more extenders/boosters involved, the slower it gets.

 

But specifically to your case, I have no idea what caused it.  Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 should not have made things slower.  It should not have slowed down your wifi connection.

 

I suppose that it could be an issue like a driver or something.  I'm thinking that, perhaps, a wrong driver got installed when updating from windows 7 to windows 10 but… I'd also think that your machine would give you some warning or indication about that… which it doesn't appear to have done.

 

As I said… I'm not much good to you.  There are others here much more knowledgeable about these things than I am… but none of them have chimed in so I assume they haven't come up with a good idea either.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI