This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Slow Computer Response to Input

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have two coms, one desktop and one laptop. I am set up on a wireless home network where I just recently set my computers up using the network wizard in xp pro. I set my drives to be shared in my home network so I can transfer file between the two coms wirelessly. Ever since then, my laptop seems to be running extremely slow. Upon boot, it takes an extra minute or so before I can see any icons on my desktop. My mouse moves around just no icons. Once icons do appear, if I try to click on one to use a program, it takes about a minute before the program actually opens. Same with internet explorer, windows explorer or even my task bar (auto hidden, doesn't come up when moving mouse all the way to bottom of screen). Could setting my drive up to share be causing my trouble? I have used adaware, spybot search and destroy, mcafee virus scan, chkdsk all to check my system for errors and all seems ok. My search and destroy search found that my antivirus and firewall were disabled. I clicked fix for that. Any ideas?
hmm.. I would surely change that for security if nothing else. Sharring the root of a drive is never a good idea. how many icons are in your system tray on the laptop?
I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 running a 2.8 ghz p4, 512 mb memory, 60 gb hard drive, only 6 icons now in the system tray, have since stopped sharing the drive. I have run every online virus scan I can think of, adaware and spybot search and destroy. I actually had eagle help me with a hijackthis log that really showed nothing out of the ordinary. I can not access windows update, or should say I can get on to the site but when I try to run the express or custom install, it says error connecting. I have run a windows xp pro repair and still have the same slow boot and response to everything I try. Once I get online and I'm within a webpage, my computer works like normal. Once I get email open it works like normal. Once I get any program actually open they work like normal. It just takes forever to get them open. I can click on start and wait at least 2 mins before the tree opens. Then, when I go to select something like all programs, it hangs again to open that tree all the way up. I then go to select the program I want and it takes forever before it actually opens the program. Needless to say very frustrating. I have backed up all my data in case I need to reformat my drive but would naturally try to avoid that if possible. Any ideas? Thanks, Doug
Ok Doug, what all is checked in msconfig under the startup tab..? (click on start..run.. type msconfig..click ok) If its alot dont worry about listing it all. Just uncheck everything, click apply, click ok then reboot. When it boots back to desktop it will give you a popup saying that your using Windows System Configuration..etc..etc..just check the box down there were it says "dont show this again" and then click ok. Then post back here and let us know what/if any/ difference it has made. (your not uninstalling or deleting anything here, simply preventing these applications from starting with windows. Each item in your system tray is constantly sending and receiving information, taking up your resources. You can go back recheck everything or what ever you want afterwards. This is just a good way to troubleshoot and see rather its a software issue or what)
Ok…your RAM you said was 512mb, of what type..? (like..pc3200 ..pc2700..) and how many physical "sticks" of RAM are there.. just one .. or two or more? If your not positively sure then, power down, open the tower up and check each stick and post that here. (dont need any numbers or anything… just the type as mentioned above) Have you "taken control" .. so to speak… of your services running?
I did remove the checks from all of the startup items. I just double checked to verify they were all still unchecked and all of the Mcafee ones were all rechecked. Ctfmon.exe was also rechecked. My memory is over 2 dimms of 256 and is: DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 400, 32X64, 8K, 200
Ok do they both say that on them? are they both pc3200's? (if you purchased the computer brand new and have not added any ram to it then most likely they are. However it wouldnt surprise me if they were not… ive seen stranger) Also.. When I asked about your services in that prior post, I ment in admin tools under services. However, thats good that those are unchecked.. lets leave them that way till figure out what the deal is ok.
They should both be the same, it's a dell inspiron 9100 laptop though, not a desktop. I can't see the second memory module. Where to next?
Sorry bout the time for responding doug, caught me at busy time.

Since this post would be extremely to long.. and for the fact is nicely done as is…Blackvipers service settings you need to follow these instructions carefully. After you have got these set up right, then please post back and lets go from there
Well, I followed the instructions on the link. I'm still having the same problems and maybe even a little worse. I notice that everytime I have to shut down or restart that I get an error saying that explorer.exe is having trouble shutting down. From reading other posts and sites, the general feeling I get is that the problem may be with the explorer. I still can't run a windows update either. What should be the next step? Thanks.
Well..there are only a couple of more things it can be so were getting close…Do you have a link to were you posted your hijack this log..? or would you mind posting another one..? (I apollogize if we have already been through that, just been busy i cant remember now if you posted one here or not. I remember you said Eagle , i think,. helped you through your log.. but I dont think we got to see it here.) After you post your log and we go over it, if all is well there, then the only other thing it could be is a hardware issue. Power supply may be on the verdge of going out.. possibly the fan has gone out on it.. and how it is for heat.. does it get real hot?
Here is my current log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:01:41 PM, on 11/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Douglas Eastin\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To &Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\Dell\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\npjpi142_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\npjpi142_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Share in Hello - {B13B4423-2647-4cfc-A4B3-C7D56CB83487} - C:\Program Files\Hello\PicasaCapture.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Share in H&ello - {B13B4423-2647-4cfc-A4B3-C7D56CB83487} - C:\Program Files\Hello\PicasaCapture.dll
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\Dell\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-4017 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\Dell\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://download.windowsupdate.com
O16 - DPF: {E856B973-45FD-4559-8F82-EAB539144667} (Dell PC Checkup Installer Control) - http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/rel/35/install/gtdownde.cab
O18 - Protocol: widimg - {EE7C2AFF-5742-44FF-BD0E-E521B0D3C3BA} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\btxppanel.dll
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - WIDCOMM, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WLTRYSVC - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe
Hey doug, sorry about the length of time here. I had Racktracker look over your log with me and neither he or I seen anything bad in it. If you havent installed anything new recently, hardware or software, then it has to be either a power supply problem (or overheating due to a fan thats gone bad) or some other "hardware going bad" issue. ..only thing it can be. I would "once over it" if I were you (checking to make sure that the drives.. ram…any other type of removable's are seated firmly and correctly), make sure all cables are in securely and check to see if it does this only when running on the battery or vice versa or both. The only trouble shooting left to do aside from whats been to date, here, would be like…pulling the ram..or the board itself and putting on a scope. Unless I have just missed something…anyone following this that see something I have missed or forgot to mention?
Would it make any sense that once I get a program open it works just fine? The only real problem I'm having is just the extreme slow response to input such as clicking on the start button. I use auto hide for my taskbar. When I move my mouse down to get it to pull up, it takes about 2 mins before it comes up, then I click on the start button and it will take some time before it opens, then if I try to select a program it will take a few more minutes before it will actually open as well. Once it's open, it works just fine. Since I can't run windows update or even use windows installer, I wonder if it could be a probem with explorer in general. Do you think that a format and reinstall would help the situation?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI