This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Motherboard Working? How To Test It &cpu

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

A friends PC was connected to broadband cable modem and had a lightning /thunderstorm in area while PC was on. Lost screen display and internet - I have tried replacing the VGA card and still no good - have put HDD in other PC and system works - but have also discovered that the modems ethernet connection is faulty since storm and now must connect to net via the USB port - but I want to make sure that the original PC's motherboard is definately dead before throwing it out!!! As I stated I have replaced the VGA card in effected PC and the power supply starts up but no display screen - I think the HDD powers up but do not know if it is actually booting !!! - I switch off PC (only possible by pulling power cord or throwing switch at back because the front power switch has no effect in turning it off/on!!) So….Is there a way to test the actual motherboard and or /CPU for life ?? Cheers Mike
Is there a light on the motherboard? Some of them have a little diode. Also, do any fans spin when you turn the power on? Maybe I'm not understanding you…. Does the computer seem to turn on?