This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Outlook 2010 messages disappear after close and reopen

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

While trying to delete emails a few days ago I received an error message telling me I needed to run scanpst.ext.  It took me quite some time to find the correct file - in the meantime, trying different things adviced on other sites - incluiding Microsoft (what was I thinking) I tryied to "repair" the outlook file by putting what I thought was original program disk - turned out to be 2007 not 2010. I am not sure if that caused part or all of my issue.   I also was advised to remove my email account from outlook then reinstall it - after I ran the scanpst.exe.  When I finally located the correct file, I ran scanpst.exe, then reinstalled my email account.  I asked my husband to send me a test email - which I received then tried to delete.

 

Instead of moving the email to my delete folder, it drew a line through it and shaded it light gray.  I tried again to hit delete - nothing happened.  I clicked and dragged it to the delete folder.  It put it in the delete folder but when I clicked back to the inbox, all the messages that downloaded along with the test message disapeared.  

 

I repaeated the process of deleting and re adding my email account multiple times - looking at and trying different things.  even without trying to delete a message - if I shut down outlook and reopen it, all of the messages downlaoded since the original account delete process are gone.  If I try to delete a messaage, they turn gray, and have a line through them.  If I click on any other folder - delete, sent, archive, whatever, then go back to the inbox, all of the newly downloaded messages are gone.  I can delete the account and re add it to get them back but clearly this is not normal.    

 

Any suggestions?

~Rosemary

Wow. Sorry for your troubles there, Rosemary. While I know a bit about Outlook, this is beyond me. I might suggest you post your question over at MSOfficeForums. Hopefully there are some users there with more experience who can help you sort this out.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI