This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I Cannot Save to My Exterior Drive

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Its a Seagate Backup 1TB drive that I got back in 2010(?),used it as a backup for a previous desktop then started using it as a regular drive with my last computer which was a Surface Pro 3 without a lot of onboard memory.  And now since Feb I've been on a new Windows 10 machine and the Seagate has been working the same…until earlier this week.  I suddenly am not able to save updated files, or change out of 'Read-Only' on ALL of the files and folders, nor change User permissions in order TO change that. 

 

I do have myself setup as Admin, am the only user of this machine and my home network, and tried some advice on a few websites to setup a 'CREATOR OWNER' account..which had the odd side effect of creating 2 accounts (the second is 'Unknown' with a bunch of letters and numbers) which I seem to have finally been successful in eliminating just now.  I also JUST discovered that the mirror I made on my C: is actually letting me update the files there now (it wouldn't right after I made the directory); also when I go back into the Seagate if I try and look at the Properties of my most used directory they're the Properties for the drive itself, not the directory.  Same with the one that appears just above it, but the other directories are normal.  Can't save to them, tho.

 

Do you guys think the Seagate may be dying and causing weird problems, or could it be something else?  Is the Seagate salvageable?  Are there any diagnostics I could do on it?

 

–Z

It took almost an entire day to do all the scans (everything but the Advanced scans in Seatools), but nothing turned up.

This reset me right back to square one, only with the CREATOROWNER and mysterious second user reinstalled (which I removed again), and me not being recognized as an admin again - also it doesn't give me the option to give it the admin password.

 

*sigh*

I seem to have stumbled on the fix.  When I was trying the create 'creator owner' account and change the ownership to it under Advanced Properties, I didn't think I should just look up my local username and make THAT the owner and then give it full permissions.  DUH!  It works now!

 

BUUUUUUT….!

 

Now I have a corrupted Recycle bin on that drive (its G: vs. C: ).  Suggestions?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI