This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Can't see my external hard drive! HELP!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently purchased a Seagate FreeAgent Pro external hard drive. I set my backups and moved a lot of my files onto the drive yesterday (Saturday). This morning (Sunday), the drive doesn't register and even the program doesn't recognize the drive. I just moved most of my work data onto the drive and now can't access it and have a project due tomorrow (Monday), and am desparate for help! The only thing I can think of what may have happened is that I was moving some folders around on the external drive before I shut down last night, just to clean it up and easier to navigate in Windows Explorer. I didn't delete anything, just moved it around. Since I didn't get any error messages indicating that the files shouldn't be moved, I figured it wasn't a problem…now I don't know. PLEASE HELP!! Thanks for any help you can give…unfortunately the Seagate Tech Support doesn't open until 6am on Monday and I can't wait that long… BTW…I run Windows XP Professional.
How does this drive connect? USB or SATA? If USB, first thing I would do is disconnect the drive and reboot. Then connect as directed and see if it appears. If nothing else and time starts to run out, you should be able to remove the drive from the external enclosure and install it internally to your PC then access the files. If USB,
Thanks Digerati….that seemed to do the trick. I feel like such an idiot, I didn't even think about the ol' "unplug and reboot" trick! Thanks for your help…you're a life saver!!!

I feel like such an idiot,

Don't!! If you were an idiot, you would not have had the smarts (or huevos - ;)) to ask for advice - and instead, would have done something radical and unnecessary, like reformat and reinstall Windows and set yourself back months or years in critical updates, etc.

Thanks for your help…you're a life saver!!!

Nope, just been there, done that. But thanks anyway and thanks for the followup.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI