I have Windows 8.1 OS on an HP Envy 4500 laptop, with an Intel Centrino Wireless Adapter N-2230. Since moving to KY last summer the wireless adapter frequently disconnects me from the internet. The "diagnose this connection" almost always fixes it temporarily, and states that it has made changes to the adapter..
My ISP is Time/Warner/Spectrum. Their first suggestion was to "update the driver software" in Device Manager, which I did. However, the problem came back. The next suggestion, which I found on a couple of tech sites, was to uninstall the Adapter and re-install, which I did. The problem still occurred. My most recent attempt was to move the laptop closer to the modem, which seems to have slowed down the disconnect rate somewhat, to about every 3 days.
This problem never occurred before last summer, when I had an older modem but the same ISP, and lived in OH. Spectrum replaced my modem when I moved.
Is there anything I can do to fix this permanently, other than moving the computer next to the modem and hard-wiring it with an ethernet cable?
as this will provide the background info you need.
Scroll down all the way to the end of the article for details on how to change your channel setting in your wireless access point….
Finally remember that some folks often talk of modems when they mean router, whilst others who have combo units call them all sort of things! Its laborious calling a combo unit a "Modem/router/Wireless Access Point/Switch" but that's what it is
Many thanks for your reply. To answer your questions:
1. I had to return my old modem when they gave me a new one.
2. I rent the ground floor of a house, the only other tenant lives upstairs, I will check with him to see if he's had similar problems.
3. I'll have to look up "USB wi-fi adapter," as I don't know what that is.
4. There are no cut-outs when using ethernet cable.
5. I thought what I had was a modem, but the analysis software you recommend (WiFiInfoView) calls it a router. The brand says "Technicolor," model # TC8717T.
6. The signal strength on my channel is 99. There are 9 other networks listed, none of which is higher than 33 (one); the rest are in the teens, so it doesn't seem that switching channels will improve this, but only make it worse (?). I'm on channel 1 with one other network whose signal strength is 21. There are 5 networks on channel 6 and 4 on channel 11, all with equally low signal strengths.
Meanwhile, today is the 4th day with no cut-out (knock on wood), so maybe the problem is gone….I will also try moving the modem/router higher up off the floor.