This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Keyboard or Trackpad Driver Issues?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So this morning, my keyboard started acting like the Windows Key was stuck (it wasn't physically stuck), but I couldn't type. Any key I pressed acted as though it was pressed while holding down the Windows Key as well (for instance: pressing the Down Arrow made the active program minimize)

 

I looked online (via my phone, since I coudn't type) and discovered that I should either update drivers (it said my drivers are up to date on both my keyboard & trackpad) or go into Control Panel and Troubleshoot, which suggested I restart my computer to fix it

 

I restarted (and updated) and the Windows Key no longer acted like it was stuck. However, now I'm stuck with my trackpad randomly acting like I double click something instead of single clicking. It sounds small, but is SUPER annoying

 

Anyway, I troubleshot again and again restarted my laptop (and updated again, for whatever reason). However, it's still acting like I'm double clicking half the time I click something

 

I have no clue what else to do. One site suggested going into Device Manager and uninstalling my trackpad and then restarting. Is that the next course of action? I don't know how to restart without the trackpad, just hold down the power button until the laptop turns off? Any other course of action?

 

 

Thanks for any help

Hello ezpkns34,

 

Not sure what version of Windows you are running but if previous to Windows 8/8.1 try restarting in Safe Mode only (no networking) by tapping the F8 key when you restart the computer, if things are ok, restart in Safe Mode with Networking, test the post back with an update for us.

Thanks for the update  :thumbup:

 

Create a new folder on your desktop, call it Lenovo drivers so it is easy to find. download and save the drivers that are listed under Mouse & keyboard here create a new system restore point, uninstall the trackpad in the Device Manager, restart in Safe Mode only (no networking) install the newly saved drivers, restart the computer as normal and test.

Sure, but I don't know how to restart in Safe Mode with my trackpad uninstalled, can you tell me how? Or is the trackpad still going to be operational somehow?

 

The way I restarted in Safe Mode last time was by holding down Shift while clicking the Start Menu then Power then Restart and choosing Startup Settings. But if the trackpad isn't working, then I have no idea how to go about it, sorry

Apologies, mistake on my behalf, for some reason I forgot that the computer was a notebook  :wacko:

 

If you happen to have a USB keyboard connect and use that but if not you can only restart the computer as you would normally.

When I select to uninstall the Trackpad, it asks if I want to delete the driver software for this device…..should I check that box as well?

Drat, got an email saying things were fixed and was real pleased for you  :(

 

Was the right click working ok beforehand.

 

Does the left click work as it should.

Haha, sorry, I thought it was fixed and then I right clicked something and turned out it wouldn't work

 

The random double clicking was fixed but the right clicking (which had been working fine), stopped working altogether

 

I went back to Device Manager and uninstalled my trackpad again but this time chose to delete driver software. I just restarted and everything is working fine

 

Should I dare to go back into Device Manager and choose to update the driver for my trackpad?

Thanks for the update  :thumbup:

 

If everything is working as it should the only thing that I would suggest you do is create a new system restore point for the now stable settings.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI