I only recently have been attacked with these AdChoices ads on the Internet. I know you can't really get away from it, but it's gotten ridiculous on this computer. I feel like I'm being relentlessly hounded by salesmen on every website I go to now. Is there a way to get rid of these things? I use Firefox if that matters.
Hello Getoutandstayout and welcome to the WTT forum.
My name is Satchfan and I would be glad to help you with your computer problem.
Please read the following guidelines which will help to make cleaning your machine easier:
please follow all instructions in the order posted
please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear
all logs/reports, etc. must be posted in Notepad. Please ensure that word wrap is unchecked. In Notepad click Format, uncheck Word wrap if it is checked
if you don't understand something, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification before proceeding
the fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
please reply within 3 days. If you do not reply within this period I will post a reminder but topics with no reply in 4 days will be closed!
IMPORTANT:
Please DO NOT install/uninstall any programs unless asked to.
Please DO NOT run any scans other than those requested
Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
press Scan button
it will produce a log called Frst.txt in the same directory the tool is run from
please copy and paste log back here.
the first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the Frst.txt into your reply.
this appears to be a company computer with company restrictions on it. Can you confirm that please.
There is no need for that information as there is no evidence of malware on your computer.
AdChoices is legitimate and related to the website you are visiting. Websites use AdChoices to generate income. You can read more about AdChoices here.
You install an ad-blocker for your browser, such as Adblock Plus.
Your version of Java is out-of-date and need to be removed and updated.
Having the latest updates and removing old versions ensures there are no security vulnerabilities in your system.
Uninstall:
Java 8 Update 144, (both 64 and 32-bit versions)
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
NEXT
Install the latest version of Java:
Java
NOTE – when you install Java, before clicking on Install, be sure to Uncheck “Install the Ask Toolbar and make Ask my default search provider”
Even though I just had you get the latest version of Java, there is a vulnerability with regards to Java and web browsers. Therefore, we recommend to disable java in web browsers.
Download and run the installer for Malwarebytes 3.0 then follow the prompts to install the program, (Malwarebytes 3.0 will automatically upgrade Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.x to Malwarebytes 3.0).
This really is an excellent program that you should update and run on a regular basis, probably weekly.
I will keep this open for 24 hours in case you have any problems, after which I’ll close the topic.