Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91911 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Need to recover Facebook password 2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

Unfortunately, this was a case where being honest was not the right thing to do.  I considered lying in my first post (Need to recover Facebook password) but decided honesty is the best policy.  Unfortunately, I was wrong this this time.  Digerati totally twisted what I wanted to do.  All I wanted to do was to restore my computer to an earlier time and this guy accused me of being creepy.  I could make the same claim about where his mind is.

I understand about not recovering passwords, however that's NOT what I asked for.  I asked if restoring my laptop to an earlier version would restore a password I already had.  I specifically said I was not trying to steal nor hack a password.

If you're not going to help, that's fine but I wanted to make clear that it's not me that's creepy - if anyone is creepy it would be the responder!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 57,172 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

Guyl,

While "creepy" might not have been the best choice of words, we take passwords very seriously.

As far as we know, this could be a password to someones financial accounts.

I think Digerati answered your questions rather well.

The best option would be to contact your cousin and tell him what happened.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#3 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,645 posts
  • MVP

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:15 AM

I am sorry if you did not like my use of the word "creepy". But please note I did not accuse you of being creepy, I said what you are trying to do, "is a bit sneaky, perhaps devious, if not creepy too".

Understand it is not uncommon for totally honest folks to lose or forget passwords, or accidentally lock themselves out of accounts they are totally authorized to have access to. But as I explained to you in this thread we have no way of verifying member's identities. You are essentially a total stranger asking us to help you gain access to your cousin's Facebook account saying, "trust me, I'm an honest person. I just don't want my cousin to know". Would you trust a stranger under those circumstances?

And note you specifically said you are not friends with this 3rd person, adding,

I don't want to ask my cousin for his password again because he ... will wonder why I now want his password and I don't want to tell him why.

And that's the "bit sneaky, perhaps devious, if not creepy too" part.

Unfortunately, this was a case where being honest was not the right thing to do.  I considered lying in my first post (Need to recover Facebook password) but decided honesty is the best policy.

Honesty is the best policy and I applaud you to being honest. So just be honest with your cousin.

Please note if you had in your first post lied and said, "I accidentally erased my password", the same Terms of Use policy would have applied.

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

We still would not have helped you.

You could also take your computer to a computer shop where they can verify your identity and see if they will help you.

Edited by Digerati, 10 December 2017 - 11:20 AM.
fixed link

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#4 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

Ok, fine I do understand your position on passwords and it's logical, but will you answer this then and I'll drop it after this.  If I am able to roll back my computer, will that restore the password?  As I'll say again all I'm trying to do is recover what I already had, not get something I never had.

#5 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,645 posts
  • MVP

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

The cat's out of the bag now. But I note you already said you tried to restore Windows to an earlier point but the feature was not turned on. If you don't keep regular backups of your data, you are out of luck.

As I'll say again all I'm trying to do is recover what I already had, not get something I never had.

And I'll say again, that does not matter. We don't help people recover lost passwords.

I am now closing this thread. Please do not start another on this topic.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────