This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't open apps in Windows 10

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

 

My Windows 10 Pro is telling me I can't run system apps (like Calculator, Edge or Photos) with my "built in administrator account", and that I should log with another account.

 

Since I don't have and don't want to create another user account because there's just me using my desktop, I wish to know what should I do to open the apps normally again.

 

Many thanks in advance,

 

Pablo

Not an option as far as I know. The built in Administrator account is normally a hidden account in windows 10.

 

I'd recommend setting up a new administrator level account, copying/moving everything over then hiding the existing account named Administrator via the net user administrator /active:no command from an elevated command prompt.

Ztruker,

 

I may be wrong concerned the "built in administrator account" part because I am translating the error message from my Brazilian version of Windows.

 

I googled the error message I'm receiving from the system and the results that read "built in etcetera" were the closest i got from the problem I have.

 

But I am not sure my one and only account is "built in", am I clear?

 

What I know for sure is that it belongs to the Administrators Group, even so because you are the person who taught me how to include it to the group yourself a while ago!

 

That said, can you explain me the steps I need to make the changes?

 

Thanks very much for your attention,

 

Pablo

Sorry, I think I mislead you. I think the information I give should be precise or else we run the risk of talk in vain…

 

The error message actually IS "This app can't open - *App* can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again."

 

Excuse my bad english, but that's it… Only I read it here in portughese…

 

The account is named "Pablo" and is the only one I use.

 

I used to open every app with it with no problem. I don't want to have dosens of accounts if only one is enough.

 

I feel like Adam. I knew paradise and now it's lost?!!

 

Can you help me?

 

Pablo

Was User Account Control: Use Admin Approval Mode for the built-in Administrator account enabled and did you disable it or was it already disabled (unchecked)?

 

Please let me know exactly what you did, and recheck it now to make sure it is still disabled.

 

Thanks

Isn't there anything else we can try? I have seen lots of tutorials about this messing with the security policies but I won't try any if you don't recommend them to me.

 

Pablo

Did you check it again to make sure it's still disabled?
 
Try this: Q & A: Edge Can’t be Opened Using the Built-in Administrator Account
 
Alternatively, if you want to use Edge you can change to the local security policies to allow Edge to run under the Administrator’s account. Use the search option in the taskbar and enter secpol.msc then click on it in the search results. Under Local Policies, Security Options navigate to User Account Control Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account click on it to open the properties. Set the policy to Enabled and click Apply. After you reboot the system you will be able to use Edge under the local Administrator account.

 

See if that helps. If not put it back as it was.

Didn't work either.

 

I performed double-checks, but to no result. Enabling or disabling the Admin Aproval mode makes no difference. I can't even use the Calculator.

I'm stumped, sorry.

 

I suggest creating a new Administrator level User Account. Give it a name you can live with in case you 4end up keeping it.

Make no changes to the account, just test and see how things work there. If okay then I suggest copying everything over from the old account to the new account. Once you are satisfied the new account is working correctly and all your data is there, delete the old account.

 

Another possability os to run the following commands sequentially from an elevated Administrator Command Prompt:

 

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /scannow

 

Capture the output and post here if you can.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI