This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Limited user account: too limited!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I took this site's advice about creating a limited user account. However, I'm finding that I don't have the option to log in as the administrator anymore! When I come to the windows login screen, the only account that shows up is the limited account I created. Help!
Hey Ztruker, Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work though (I read a number of sites that advised pressing ctrl+alt+del at the logon screen, but nothing happened; maybe it's my machine) and I tried a number of other password recovery tools. I ended up doing a system restore instead, and now I'm back up and running. Thanks for your attention though. I appreciate the work you guys are doing on this site. D
Dantes. You need to press ctrl-alt-del twice if you are running Windows XP. This takes you from the welcome screen where your usernames are listed and you can click on them to the classic login window where you can type in a username and password.

Using a limited account is suggested, but not all software is designed properly to work in a limited user account. You can always hold the shift key and right-click an item on your computer to "run as" a different user account. This would be the suggested way to temporarily elevate your privileges rather than logging in with the admin account. You can do this with control panel icons and programs.
Yes, I did hit ctrl-alt-del twice. I tried it a number of times. Nothing happened. Maybe because the admin account was disabled… I don't know. Regardless, my machine is working now, so it's a non-issue.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI