Something is eating my HD space. Funny thing is, when I clone the drive, the clone looks good. Screen shot of my HD and the clone from disk manager. Looking at the forum for help, saw the link to Treesize free. finally got it to work and it looks like a bunch of large (5GB) files that are not visible in Windows Explorer. "System Volume Information". Anyone know what this stuff is? Can I get rid of them? How do I get rid of the files if I can't even "see" them? All help appreciated. Thanks,
HD Space
1 min read
They look like System Restore points to me.
What version of Windows are you using? XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10? Home or Pro?
HI, I got so involved in figuring out how to attach the screen shots I forgot to enter the OS.
Win 7 Pro 64 running on a HP DC 5800 desktop
Unhid the System Files. Attached is what I get when I try to look at them in Windows Explorer.
See here: How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder in Windows 10
This worked for me. Got some errors while applying the access changes but I was then able to access the System Volume Information folder.
Discovered a way to control the amount of space that restore uses. Control panel - System. By moving the slide bar, I changed the amount of HD usage from 50% to 15% and went to 55% free space on the HD. Thanks for the help. I think we can mark this solved.
Johnny
Okay, good. You are the one who can mark it solved.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI