This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

task manager

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I noticed that Defender, and Cortana use up a lot of resources as the likely should being part of the OS.

But when I looked at history, Edge has a whopping 589.

 

I don't know much about this task manager except to close programs that won't close when I x them.

Is there some way to reduce the amount of resources Edge uses as I always use Chrome? 

I never us Cortana and would like to save resources there too if I can.

 

If I just stop them from running but don't save by doing so, that would not be what I am trying to do.

 

I have 6 GB RAM and am running fine so should not complain but I would think savings where you can is a good idea.

Hi Peter. I don't use Edge or Cortana either.
For me, Edge is not even showing up in Task Manager.
Cortana has 0 CPU and 41MB of memory.

I removed Cortana from the taskbar by right clicking on it and setting Cortana to Hidden.

What did you mean by But when I looked at history, Edge has a whopping 589. What history, how do you look at it?

Cortana is under processes where it is using 0 % CPU and 54 MB RAM.

If you hide it does it not consume RAM or is it just not in the way? I use the little icon at tie to locate something on the computer quickly like optimize/defrag.

Right click in start shows a lot too.  Cortana is convenient but not if it consumes a lot of RAM.

 

Microsoft Edge is under App history and shows 514 RAM under network- this may be a cumulative amount from previous usage.. However, I really do not know what these #'s mean.

 

All I wanted to do was reduce the amount of unnecessary RAM etc used.

The numbers in App History are over a one month period, cumulative so the 514MB is insignificant. Ditto for Cortana's numbers.

 

I don't use any Apps intentionally, though Photos is set as my default picture viewer.

I was reading some posts and people were concerned about the resources that Windows 10 is consuming and for that reason have even referring back to Windows 7.
I am content with the way my machine is running right now.

 

I have 6 GB RAM and am running fine so should not complain but I would think savings where you can is a good idea.

you'd think so but in reality, usually no it's not.

 

the os knows what it's doing and unless you do have problems like it running slow then you're best to leave things alone.

 

for example memory management. it's there to be used so why people seem to think it's a bad idea when an os does use it is beyond me.

 

take a look at this old article and see if it eases your mind some, it's about win 7 but really applies to any os.. :- https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2010/02/behind-the-windows-7-memory-usage-scaremongering/

 

:popcorn:

The important number is not "free," but "available." The "available" memory includes both memory that is free, and memory that can be trivially made available, and this figure is far more representative of the true amount of memory available to applications.

 

>>The above made this ore clear to me and thank you for that.

Again I will continue as I am and not be concerned about Cortana and Edge regarding RAM.

 

​Incidentally, I think Firefox users are having some issues. I was reading a couple of articles which suggested this. Anyway thanks all.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI