Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91634 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Any ideas how to reduce memory usage on google chrome and firefox ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ONewbieO

ONewbieO

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:25 AM

Hi found that sometimes i needed to use 2 browsers but when i opened the task manager , these 2 browsers seems to use a lot of memory and does lag my lappy a little bit . Any idea what i can do to reduce the memory usage ? Suggestions would be appreciated .

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:16 AM

Hi ONewbieO, Sorry to hear of the Internet and lag problems you are experiencing, If you can provide the following details it will help us to focus on the areas that need to be addressed. 1 How much RAM is currently fitted to your machine? 2 What settings do you have for Virtual memory? ( min and max or Windows allocated) 3 Post back with the details of your computer (make and model number including make/designation/speed of CPU and level of Service Pack on Win XP) 4 Are you connecting to the Internet wirelessly? or by Ethernet cable? ADSL(2) or Cable? 5 What's your typical Internet download/upload speed that you are currently obtaining.... ? if this varies according to the time of day please provide a typical range. 6 How much free disc space do you have on your boot drive? (usually C:) 7 How many firewalls are you running? details make etc. please... 8 How many protection products are you running? details please (anti virus, anti spyware etc) 9 Have you performed a disc clean recently? 10 Have you defragged recently? 11 is your Java, Flash, Adobe etc and all Windows updates..... up to date and with the latest versions? 12 Have you uninstalled all unecessary Programs (ones you don't use any more?) 13 When did you last run an anti virus scan? what was the result? 14 Have you used an independent malware (anti virus/spyware) scanner recently? ( any problems found? details please?) 15 Have you ever installed or used Peer to Peer file sharing applications? (torrents, bearshare, Limewire etc.) 16 Have you uninstalled your Firefox browser, rebooted and then reinstalled it? 17 Have you uninstalled your Chrome, rebooted and reinstalled it? 18 If you run in safe mode with networking is there any improvement? * be carefull here as your "protections" will be inoperative...only do a short test and whilst you are behind a hardware firewall ( in your router) no surfing or downloading emails! 19 Please advise the main reasons you are using two browsers at the same time ( please give details of the functionality you require but lack when only using one browser) 20 How many tabs do you have open at any one time?(numbers for each browser please) Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 ONewbieO

ONewbieO

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:55 AM

Hi there . I'm a little stupid at these things though . Would appreciate if you could guide me on where to find the information required so that my queries could be answered :)

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

No worries, Just answer the ones you can, and we will take it from there: Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

PCPitStop would provide a lot of this info.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here: PCPitstop Full Tests

You must use Internet Explorer as it needs to install an ActiveX program.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)

Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.

Once you have your Results, please post the URL (the http:// stuff) back here into this thread for review.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.

If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.

Since this site is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#6 jenn1

jenn1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:24 AM

PCpitstop is a plie of f'en junk. It told me my new 3 day old hard drive was 40% fragmented when in reality it's only 2% fragmented.

Edited by jenn1, 05 November 2011 - 08:25 AM.

#7 ONewbieO

ONewbieO

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

Very sorry for the delay in response . Was away and didnt get access to my machine for some time . I'll try and answer all questions within 24 hours .

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

No problem. We don't close threads here so when you get time we're still around.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#9 ONewbieO

ONewbieO

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:34 AM

Hi all , reason why i didn't respond to this thread . Been using my sis laptop for some time as i didn't get a lappy myself . Got one now with better specs of course and realised that the machine is running better than before . Since the last machine had malware infected , i followed the instructions and got myself those 2 antivirus and firewall that are recommended on my thread . So far , my machine is running smoothly and perfect . Hence , i got reason to believe that memory usage was huge and the last machine my sis had were limited in disk space and stuffs as that slowed down the machine considerably . Thanks for the patient wait guys as i dont think i'll need an answer for now for this question .

Edited by ONewbieO, 16 November 2011 - 05:37 AM.

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

:thumbup: