Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91702 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

M.S.I.E. 11

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:53 AM

Years ago I used Explorer. I used to "send" link or page by clicking file. I did this after setting 'mail' as the priority program/app and under custom as well.

I am only doing this as an experiment. with Explorer 11.

I do the same thing and all I see under file>send>is a grayed out link or page.

I did everything I used to do including signing in and rebooting.

Explorer 11 is so slow and it keeps saying it is not responding, taking too long and something about script. I sent feedback 4 times.

What am  I missing?

Thanks

P.S. I checked settings>default apps and it is there.

Please do not forget this is only an experiment so do not take it seriously.

Unless I have something wrong, it is an inoperable, slow as molasses, beast.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,641 posts
  • MVP

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

First, Internet Explorer is a browser, not an email program. 

Where is this link you are trying to send? And are you right-clicking on it?

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

I used to click on "file" and next to send there were two options; to send the page you are on as a link, or send the page itself.

It is important that you create a desktop client as the default app and in my case it is Windows 'Mail'.

Explorer is acting as though I never created a desktop mail client.  I am sure I did like I used to.

I know M.s.i.e. is not an email program and is a browser like; Chrome, FF, Dolphin, etc. It is a vehicle that enables you to surf the web. 

I use Chrome as it syncs well with the Chromebook, both phones and the tablet. I use Google Drive for domestic and One drive for digital material.

Do you have any ideas as to why the two options stay gray instead of black as they should when a client is made the default? 

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:05 AM

Hi Peter,
Until Bill (Digerati) gets back to you. here are some thoughts for your consideration:

Explorer 11 is so slow and it keeps saying it is not responding, taking too long and something about script. I sent feedback 4 times.

What am I missing?

I'm not sure what you are missing Peter, but something is obviously wrong....and probably with how your IE11 is set up.

I am writing this note on a laptop running Win 10 and with IE11 and its certainly not slow and responds quickly and without delay, and many of my customers are very satisfied with IE11 as well, and leads me to think that maybe the problem, perhaps is  concerned more with the installation rather than the operation of the standard browser software.

Bill has a great more expertise in this area than me so its worth waiting for his response, however I often find that problems are caused by either an out of date version  of IE (so make sure you are using the most up to date version) or an "add on" that is creating problems.

If you have a look at this link it will explain how to view/add/remove add ons, close your browser once you have made the alterations and reopen it and see if things have improved...

https://support.micr...-manage-add-ons

If still no beneficial effect then you can reset Internet Explorer
Tools>Internet Options>Advanced/Reset>Ok close the machine and then restart it, as this often solves a number of problems
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

Hi Paws

Thanks for jumping in. I have worked with Explorer for years until the advent of 8,8.1, and 10. I am used to reset and checking all add ons. But, I just reset it at your suggestion, and most is fine. I still cannot do- file send>send page or link even though I made 'Mail' the default .

As usual, thanks a lot.

Peter

Edited by Peter1, 14 February 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#6 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,641 posts
  • MVP

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

Okay, in IE11, when I click File (if File is not visible, press the Alt key), under Send, I see Page by email, Link by email, and Shortcut to Desktop. If you do not see those options, then I don't know what the problem might me. Since paws already suggested resetting IE and that did not help, maybe try running sfc /scannow. 

If you see those options and they are just grayed out or do nothing, then maybe you need to go to Internet Options, click on Programs > Set programs > Set your default programs, find your email program and click on Set this program as default, then click OK. Sorry I don't have more to offer. 

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:50 AM

Still grayed out but thanks anyway.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,781 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:36 PM

Peter, read this thread. For Win 7 and 8/8.1 but should apply to 10.

http://www.dslreport...-E-mail-in-IE11

Edited by Ztruker, 22 February 2017 - 08:36 PM.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:28 AM

That is Windows Live Mail [ Essentials]which works for me too.

But, Mail won't work as a client even after making it the default  under apps and again in the control panel.

I was talking with a mod guy who said the gray in 11 is a bug. He uses Thunderbird.

I use an extension called,"Send this page as mail", with Chrome and with Edge, I 'share'. With each,  pr.......@live.com comes up as my default.

I have system that works but will always wonder why MS has not attended to mail with the send page or link graying out.

Maybe explore is dying out and hey are not paying too much attention to it.

I read where MS sold their phones to a company which slips my mind. I like a phone like Win 10 but windows phones can be troublesome.

Now Google owns 80% of the phones with Apple coming in at around 16 and Windows at 1%.

I do not like he android phone - no files and folders unless you get involved with the Drive. I have always been on the losing side with Windows but I still like it.

Google is too proprietary especially when they impose big brother on us with the restricted use of the SD card.

Sorry about going off topic.

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,781 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

Just as easy to copy and paste the URL to your E-mail.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#11 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:49 AM

That too.