This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 8 >file > send > link by email

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have been c+ p the URL or top bar into the email I am sending to show the page I am on to someone. The 'page by email' and 'link by email' are gray instead of black. With Win 7 I used to use program defaults but this is not working with Win 8. Could someone please tell me how it is done? Thank you Peter
Apologies - c+p meant copy and paste. I got used to it with some friends. Anyway, when I am on any page I wish a friend to view, I used to click file>scroll to send>then click "link by email" and they would receive the link in their mailbox to view the page I thought was interesting. I am now copying and pasting the URL and pasting it in the email but it is awkward. 'Page by email' and 'link by email' are both gray, not black. In Win 7 I could fix this using default programs but it does not work with Win 8 Is this because I do not have Windows Live Mail that was part of Essentials, or am I setting the explorer wrong or what? Thank you Peter.
When I had, and still have, Win 7, I could tic 'file'>scroll to send>page or link by email but I had Windows Live Essentials which contained WLM. Windows Live mail was not web based; it was part of the desktop so worked and the two choices where in black as long as you made the mail the default. I can send you a prntscrn from the laptop if you like. I think using Thunderbird or some other desktop mail program will let me do it but I want to make sure. I hope this made some sense. It is a feature I used a lot to send a page of interest to my brother, frequently. It was in all the Explorers except 10.

I don't think IE has ever had that capability

Sure it did and does. Note Peter is saying he is going through the "File" sub-menu from the Main Menu - not displayed in IE by default to provide a clean page. Press the Alt key and the Main Menu is displayed. From there, you can select File > Send, and from there you can select "Page by e-mail…", "Link by e-mail…" and "Shortcut to desktop".

I use Outlook. When click "Page by e-mail…", Outlook opens and I get a screenshot of the page I am on (with working links) inserted into the new email. When I select "Link by e-mail…", I get a link. And, as expected, if I send it to my desktop as a shortcut, that's what I get.

So it seems to me, whatever email program you are using has not been setup as the default program.

You can set your default email client by following these steps:

•Click Start
•Click Default Programs
•Click Set your default programs
•Select the email program you would like to be the default
•Click Set this program as default
•Click OK

This confusing but I think we are all right in a way.
I used to do just that to set default in Win 7 MSIE9 but after about 40 attempts, the send page by email and link by email are still gray.
I cannot get them to be black. I have tried defaulting to mail.


I think I had to have a desktop program like WLM which was part of Windows Live Essentials and is not part of Win 8
Because I don't have a desktop program it can't work like WLM did.
Capsulizing, if I had a desktop email or mail program like Windows Live Mail which resided in the pc, I could set it as default and tic file>send>file or page by e-mail.

The question is, "Without Outlook, what program can I install that will respond like one that is part of the desktop and not web based?" Maybe there is not one.

Please understand I do not mean to step on toes as I am just trying to accomplish this task. If I am wrong, please correct me.
Thank you for you help
Peter

I think I had to have a desktop program like WLM which was part of Windows Live Essentials and is not part of Win 8

No you don't. But you do need to tell Windows what your default email program is. It can be a client-based program like Outlook, WLM, or Thunderbird. Or it can be a web-based email, like Gmail.

It sounds like to me, you uninstalled your email program then never told Windows what you use now.
I have uninstalled nothing since I just installed Win 8. WLM never came with Win 8 as it was part of Win Live Essentials they did away with for Win 8. When I go to default there is only one choice and when I select it like I used to, it does not change like it did before. In the list of programs in the 'default programs', it is under Explorer and there is no symbol in front of it. It is just "mail". I click on it and select default and ok. When I start my pc, I sign in to a MS account which has the MS address and uses its password. This is my Hotmail account. For continuity I'd like to use it if I could as explained above. I do have Gmail account but as you say Windows does not know about it. I always thought the program I use had to be one of the programs within the pc or within Windows either by installation in the os or by installing to the pc. I have a Gmail account I rarely use but it will confuse recipients. I guess it is either, copy and paste the URL and enter in email or install an email client but the latter will confuse old friends unless MS? When the dust settles the answer will become obvious and I will get back to you when I find out what it is. Thank you all for your help.
Hello

Windows live Essentials in Win 7 does not come with Win 8 - BUT;

You can download Windows Essentials 2012 which is the same and is compatible with Win 8.

It has the same programs as before ; mail, photos, etc. It solves the file, send, link by email I was encountering.

Be sure to make it your default email program and the grayed in area swill be black and functional.

Peter
That is a good idea. I noticed that Firefox has the send to feature also. I am having a little issue with MSIE 10 where my link is received as black by the recipient instead of blue. They have to paste in the address bar. A friend of mine is not having this trouble. Any ideas? >>I just found the answer and wanted to share although Sea Monkey is easier. MSIE 10 = Click file, send link by email ,copy the link and click insert then it will become an active hyperlink or a blue one that works. Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI