This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Web Sites Too Wide For Browser

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've been searching for a while and can't find any help. Some web sites seem to use a fixed width for their pages. I suspect they have some idea that their beautiful design will be ruined if it isn't just the way they visualize it. I used to see that on A List Too Far back when CSS was new. Anyway, I prefer my browser to be less than full screen, and I want the text, at least, to automatically fit my browser, no matter how wide I have it.

 

Is there any way to override the website's bad (in my opinion) CSS to make the display dynamic rather than fixed? I haven't used Firefox for several years, but I seem to recall they used to have a setting where you could choose which CSS file you wanted the display to use, to include directing it to use one on your machine rather than the one specified in the HTML on the site? I'm using Chrome but could go back to Firefox since I believe they've fixed the problems I was having with Flash. I still don't like IE, but it's no longer the non-standards-compliant monster it used to be.

 

The specific web site that caused me to seek help is http://ordinary-gentlemen.com/2017/02/09/trumps-first-big-defeat-in-court/, which is really weird. If I maximize my browser window I get two columns, and the left-hand column is all text and the width I want. If I restore the window the display changes to about two window widths. I haven't tried digging into the CSS and I haven't tried notifying the site owner of the problem – yet.

Hi Procopius and welcome to our forum.

:welcome:

I had a look at the site you linked and on my laptop it renders just fine (to my eyes) but I may be misunderstanding what the issue seems to be with it.

 

If you post a screen dump of what you are seeing on your machine, in your reply then maybe we can see what the problem is.

 

If you fire up a live distro of Linux, do you experience the same issues?

 

Let us know, and one of us here will do our best to help.

 

Regards

paws

Well, this is embarrassing. I fired up Ubuntu 14.04, and, of course, had to use Firefox. I stopped using Firefox on Windows some time ago (years?) because it was having too many problems with Flash. I just haven't bothered installing Chromium on my Linux USB sticks, and they made Firefox their default. Well, it worked fine, so I went back to Windows (I'm still using Windows 7 because 10 won't run the one game I'm addicted to, but then neither will Ubuntu with Wine or even Win 7 in a virtual box) and found Firefox there also shows the web site fine. The thing is I just hate not being in control, but this is a rare enough problem that I don't really want to devote a lot of effort to it. Just in case you are curious, I'm enclosing screen shots. Screen 1 is how the page comes up. Screen 2 shows what it displays when I move the horizontal scroll all the way to the right. Screen3 shows how it displays when I maximize the browser window. I thought Chrome was fully standards compliant, but this is not a common problem so if I see it again I'll just try Firefox. Or maybe Linux (I'm fond of Ubuntu, but don't want to switch to it until Win 7 stops working completely because of the problem running Total War: Medieval).

ETA: I had a 4th screenshot showing how the page looked in Firefox, but it was too much to enclose in this post.

📎Screen1.png📎Screen2.png📎Screen3.png

Ok, thanks for the full report.

:thumbup:

 

It looks as though you have a workable way forward so maybe that's all you need.

 

Browsers can be funny chaps though!

Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI