This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

HD growing, but nothing saved

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Techs,

 

 

Hello and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.

 

Recently I had a problem about a lack of open space on my HD, which was solved on this board.  Now it's another similar problem.

 

I save nothing to my hard drive.  After clearing out and opening up 75% of my storage capacity on my HD I continued to watch it.  Now I see 2-3 GB of free space lost daily.  I cannot explain why.

 

Can we find out what's happening and why?  I already lost 40 GB since I last deleted all those old log files.  Running Windows 7, Service Pack 1, Gateway NV56R. 

 

Many thanks.

 

 

Download and install Treesize Free. It  will show you exactly what is using the space on your hard drive. Let us know what it shows you and we can help you determine what is doing it (using up the space).

 

When you install it, it adds a Treesize Free entry to your right click COntext menu, so open Computer then right click on your C: drive and select Treesize Free.

 

You will see something like this:

 

📎Treesize.jpg

 

You can expand each of the areas to see what is under them to see what is taking up the space.

I can tell you what it shows me, but while I can copy the tree it will not allow me to paste it here.  If you know a way I can do this, rsvp.

 

 

The largest is System Volume Information, 28 files, 83.0 GB. 

The largest file is 14.4 GB dated 10/10/18.

 

The next largest is Windows, at 142,135 files, 40.4 GB. 

The largest file here is winsxs, dated 12/21/18.

 

Note:  maybe this is useful….. on my most recent visit here were deleted many CbsPersist log files in the CBS folder.  As these are added they seem to delete older ones.  Running chkdsk/r helped this a great deal. 

 

Now Microsoft.NET seems to be busy daily with large file sizes, as well as the Logs folder.

 

Hope this helps.

That's helpful but not do-able.  I can copy but not save it.  When I open up a reply or a clean screen in notebook I cannot paste it.  As there is no image I cannot attach it as a file, it does not allow me to save.

 

Unless there is another way to do what you want I'm stuck unless I key in the info.

You don't say what OS you have. If it's Windows 7, this will work, even though it says Vista.

How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums

Thanks for your patience over this busy time (Business meetings, family commits, etc.).

 

Success! with the snipping tool.  Terrific tool to know about.  Image below.  Let me know if you need more data.

 

 

 

Expand System Volume Information to see what is taking up the drive space under it.

Also your Windows folder is about twice the size of mine which is 20.1GB. Expand that as well and see what is using the space.

Here's the expanded file structure you wanted.  Note I could only go this low in the image capture and not get the entire Windows folder.

 

 

 

I'm using Windows 7, computer details in my first post.  Thanks for your patience.

 

??????? Not sure what this post is for? Did you try cleaning up the winsxs folder?

 

 

Happy to clean out file clutter.  How do I determine what files to clean out in winsxs?  Oldest dates? 

 

I posted up about my computer running Windows 7 before, the Windows 10 suggestions may still work but we should be aware of this. 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI