yes it is but still need to ask these question ti insure something still now wrong with the system, never had issue and then I did.
So now we come to several questions?
1. Why does the ip have a lease that is set to expire and reason it has to renew that address on a home system?
2. If I leave this lease setting to 2 week what problems I will run into, one tech told me if the lease does not get renewed or the ip change and I losted the connections and reboot the modem may not see my machine, hummmm?
A. What problem will this cause for me in a home system
B. I have 3 other machine running 24/7 also logged into my server one every now and then loses it connection, but I think it a latency problem and it pings out from the server.
C. I have 2 5 port switches for when I work on other machines here in my shop.
3. If the IP needs to be renewed, and it causing me to lose my internet while doing so, what is causing this problem, it has to be window related or their is a cause due to me or should not be losing my internet when the lease is renewing.
The lease time is a function of the dhcp. If lease times didn't expire… you would run out of available addresses.
I doubt that having a long lease time will cause you any problems
If you lose your internet when your lease time expires… something is wrong with dhcp. The renewal should be instantaneous. The "clock" on the lease is renewed. Not the connection. Even so, there is a chance that your machine will be assigned a new IP address when the lease is renewed. Normally on a home system, this isn't an issue because you are not trying to access the specific device through it's IP address. However, in an office you might want to access a networked printer or scanner or some other device so you want to keep a known IP address. This can be accomplished on most routers by reserving an IP address for a specific MAC address of a device. Another option is to use static IP addresses. You don't want to mix static IP addressess with dhcp assigned addresses because it can cause a conflict if dhcp assigns the address and the the device with that static address connects to the network. I use static addresses so what I do is I only use static addresses between 192.168.x.1 and 192.168.x.99. I then allow dhcp to assign addresses of 192.168.x.100 to 192.168.x.199.
For what it's worth, my tp-link router defaults to 120 minute lease time. It's never caused me a problem. My previous router was a D-link and it defaulted to 0 which defaults to 24 hours lease time. It caused me no problems either. I checked a linksys router at my cousins office and it defaults to 360 minutes. Again, they have never had any issues with that setting.
For what it's worth, my tp-link router defaults to 120 minute lease time. It's never caused me a problem. My previous router was a D-link and it defaulted to 0 which defaults to 24 hours lease time. It caused me no problems either. I checked a linksys router at my cousins office and it defaults to 360 minutes. Again, they have never had any issues with that setting.
Nods but it causing me issues and this is why I came here, I have tested this and if I default the lease timer back to it's 3600 then I have random disconnects, no internet on this machine and not the others. Which during this process we have found it's related to the lease being renewed.
So now this is why I trying to find out what would be causing this? A. The built in modem/router or B. Windows related issue in the networking section or C. what ever c could cause this to happen.
But bumping the lease timer on the modem/router settings to 2 week has stopped it. So making me think windows is having an issue when it tried to renew the IP lease.
Another option is to use static IP addresses. You don't want to mix static IP addressess with dhcp assigned addresses because it can cause a conflict if dhcp assigns the address and the the device with that static address connects to the network.
I have mixed static and dynamic (DHCP) on my network with no problems. I used to have problems with IP addresses shifting after an extended power outage and my networked printer and NAS would get reassigned different IP addresses that previously belonged to one of my computers. When that happened, I could no longer print or access my NAS.
To resolve this, I assigned static IP addresses to my printer and NAS. To avoid those very real conflicts you described, I assigned 192.168.1.5x (where x is 0 through 5) to those devices. Having the last octet up in the 50s ensures those IP addresses are way out of range of any other devices (computers, tablets, Roku, cells phones etc.) that I might have connecting to my network via DHCP. That's because my router's DHCP assignments start at 192.168.1.1 and no way will I ever have 50 computers etc. connecting, even if all 5 kids, 8 grandkids, in-laws and neighbors show up at once.
To resolve this, I assigned static IP addresses to my printer and NAS. To avoid those very real conflicts you described, I assigned 192.168.1.5x (where x is 0 through 9) to those devices. Having the last octet up in the 50s ensures those IP addresses are way out of range of any other devices (computers, tablets, Roku, cells phones etc.) that I might have connecting to my network via DHCP. That's because my router's DHCP assignments start at 192.168.1.1 and no way will I ever have 50 computers etc. connecting, even if all 5 kids, 8 grandkids, in-laws and neighbors show up at once.
That's probably the "correct" way to do it, but I had my network all set up with static IP addresses when I had no wifi. When I added wifi to the equation, it was just to block dhcp from dealing with the first 100 addresses, than it would have been to move all the static addresses.
Nods but it causing me issues and this is why I came here, I have tested this and if I default the lease timer back to it's 3600 then I have random disconnects, no internet on this machine and not the others. Which during this process we have found it's related to the lease being renewed.
So now this is why I trying to find out what would be causing this? A. The built in modem/router or B. Windows related issue in the networking section or C. what ever c could cause this to happen.
But bumping the lease timer on the modem/router settings to 2 week has stopped it. So making me think windows is having an issue when it tried to renew the IP lease.
Ultimately, I'd probably just be happy that it's working now and move on. I recognize that changing the lease time "fixed" things… I'm just saying that from my understanding of how things work - it shouldn't have. However, once again I'm talking about more than I understand. Your best bet for an answer is that big scary duck guy - but he doesn't seem to have provided the magic answer either.
To resolve this, I assigned static IP addresses to my printer and NAS. To avoid those very real conflicts you described, I assigned 192.168.1.5x (where x is 0 through 9) to those devices. Having the last octet up in the 50s ensures those IP addresses are way out of range of any other devices (computers, tablets, Roku, cells phones etc.) that I might have connecting to my network via DHCP. That's because my router's DHCP assignments start at 192.168.1.1 and no way will I ever have 50 computers etc. connecting, even if all 5 kids, 8 grandkids, in-laws and neighbors show up at once.
That's probably the "correct" way to do it, but I had my network all set up with static IP addresses when I had no wifi. When I added wifi to the equation, it was just to block dhcp from dealing with the first 100 addresses, than it would have been to move all the static addresses.
Nods but it causing me issues and this is why I came here, I have tested this and if I default the lease timer back to it's 3600 then I have random disconnects, no internet on this machine and not the others. Which during this process we have found it's related to the lease being renewed.
So now this is why I trying to find out what would be causing this? A. The built in modem/router or B. Windows related issue in the networking section or C. what ever c could cause this to happen.
But bumping the lease timer on the modem/router settings to 2 week has stopped it. So making me think windows is having an issue when it tried to renew the IP lease.
Ultimately, I'd probably just be happy that it's working now and move on. I recognize that changing the lease time "fixed" things… I'm just saying that from my understanding of how things work - it shouldn't have. However, once again I'm talking about more than I understand. Your best bet for an answer is that big scary duck guy - but he doesn't seem to have provided the magic answer either.
LOL Big and Scary hummmm so what I get quacked to death LOL
I will let it ride and if their is more issues again I post back here or a newer one.
Jimbo
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI