This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Random Disconnects

33 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hiya folks, I came here to seek some help. I am at my wits end as to what the cause may be, here is the issue.

 

While on the internet I will from time to time get random disconnects, meaning no internet access with the red x over the icon, no warning nothing just disconnect drops and does this most time up to 2 to 6 second at the most.

 

System Spec's

 

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

3.30 gigahertz AMD FX -8300 Eight-Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

 

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 SEx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F2 11/25/2014

 

15854 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

 

c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 209.61 GB 54.64 GB free     d: (NTFS on drive 0) 790.49 GB 701.90 GB free    

 

Here is what I have done so far:

 

1.Someone said it was Av causing this, so I deleted MSE, installed Avast same results, so just for the heck of it took out Avast and installed AVG, same results. so took out AVG and no AV same results.

 

2. Switch my cat 5 cables I have 4 ports total here in my office so I went 1,to 2 to 3 to rule out bad cable- Same Results

 

3. Thinking onboard network controller or card going bad, bought a pci-e network card, installed it, and disable the onboard network card - same results

 

4. Changed the link speed from 1 Gbps Full Duplex to 100 mbps Full Duplex - same results, even went to half Duplex same results.

 

So as you see I have tried to troubleshoot all of this and still get random disconnect on this machine.

 

Now before you say it sounds like the modem/router to let you know this is not the case, I have 4 other machines running off the same modem/router and none of them drop out. Just this machine I am on that keeps randomly disconnecting

 

So I am at a lost as to what's causing these random disconnect on this machine, even from all the work I do on pc has me for a lost, I even place this machine through it's paces to insure no malware may be the cause or virus that all the tool and scans could have missed.

 

Could it be tbh here I would say that it not but not ruling it out but I would sure hate to place the malware team through all the work to find out it's not.

 

So now I am here to see what other brains could think to what could be causing these random disconnects.

 

Your Friend Jimbo1
 

1.Someone said it was Av causing this, so I deleted MSE, installed Avast same results, so just for the heck of it took out Avast and installed AVG, same results. so took out AVG and no AV same results.

 

I hope you put back MSE.

 

And to help rule out malware, did you allow each of those programs to run a thorough scan when you installed them? If so they reported your system is clean, then I don't believe it is malware.

 

So you swapped cables, swapped network ports, swapped network adapters too and still have the problem.

 

This is odd, indeed. When you lose connection, does everything else seem to keep running okay? That is, can you open up Word for example?

 

1.Someone said it was Av causing this, so I deleted MSE, installed Avast same results, so just for the heck of it took out Avast and installed AVG, same results. so took out AVG and no AV same results.

 

I hope you put back MSE. - no I still atm using AVg till I or we can figure out this issue

 

And to help rule out malware, did you allow each of those programs to run a thorough scan when you installed them? If so they reported your system is clean, then I don't believe it is malware. - Agreed

 

So you swapped cables, swapped network ports, swapped network adapters too and still have the problem. - yes

 

This is odd, indeed. When you lose connection, does everything else seem to keep running okay? That is, can you open up Word for example? - to answer this yes, everything works fine, no hang up nothing funny all software will work as I said the disconnect could last up to 2 to 6 seconds at the most and reconnect right away. This is why I am banging my head up the wall. I as soon as I lose my connection look at my internet icon and see the x over it and no internet access. Then walla internet again.

 

This is why I said to rule out my modem/router when I have 4 other machines connected to the net also and they do not drop out, if they all were I would point at the modem.

 

So this is why I stopped here for suggestion's.

 

no I still atm using AVg till I or we can figure out this issue

 

Okay, that's fine. The last thing you said was you took out AVG and with no AV had same problem. I was worried you were running with no AV at all.

 

How certain the other machines are not losing connection too? Are they being used constantly by other people, and therefore, this would be noticed?

 

Is this happening dozens of times a day, or just every once in while?

 

Did this problem suddenly start? Were their any recent changes to the network? How do you get your IP assignment?

 

no I still atm using AVg till I or we can figure out this issue

 

Okay, that's fine. The last thing you said was you took out AVG and with no AV had same problem. I was worried you were running with no AV at all.

 

How certain the other machines are not losing connection too? Are they being used constantly by other people, and therefore, this would be noticed? -> yes they are my work stations running background program on my server so if it were my modem/router they all would drop also.

 

Is this happening dozens of times a day, or just every once in while? -> no, some days may be up to 4 or 5 time and most days I would go a few days with no problems.

 

Did this problem suddenly start? Were their any recent changes to the network? How do you get your IP assignment? -been going on for over 3 months now, at first I was thinking it was my onboard network card failing. So this is why I bought the pci-e one and ended up with the same results. IP assignment isdone by my provider but as I said I have 4 other machines running so if the drop was due to ip being changed all my machines would be affected.

 

Quote

yes they are my work stations running background program on my server so if it were my modem/router they all would drop also.

 

But if you are working on this problem computer and these outages only last a couple seconds, would you notice if the other workstations lost connection for too?

 

With all that you have done in terms of swapping security programs, cables, ports, even the NIC, and the problem persists, I am still suspicious of the router or modem (or gateway if a combo device).

 

The only thing I can think of unique to that particular computer is the firewall. Were you using the same firewall with each security program?

 

Quote

IP assignment isdone by my provider but as I said I have 4 other machines running so if the drop was due to ip being changed all my machines would be affected.

 

Ummm, no. I was talking about the IP assignment to this computer. Your provider assigns an IP to your modem. The router then normally assigns through DHCP, new and unique IPs addresses to each connected device. But if not via DHCP, then the admin of the router (which I am assuming is you) must assign manually each connected device a "static" IP assignment. I am just wondering if there are not two devices with the same IP assignment. This is not common but it can happen - especially with portable devices that may connect to different networks.

 

Ummm, no. I was talking about the IP assignment to this computer. Your provider assigns an IP to your modem. The router then normally assigns through DHCP, new and unique IPs addresses to each connected device. But if not via DHCP, then the admin of the router (which I am assuming is you) must assign manually each connected device a "static" IP assignment. I am just wondering if there are not two devices with the same IP assignment. This is not common but it can happen - especially with portable devices that may connect to different networks.

IP assignment isdone by my provider but as I said I have 4 other machines running so if the drop was due to ip being changed all my machines would be affected.

 

Quote

 

Ok your going over my head on this one. That all done by this machine or the modem/router so I not sure of it this machine is on port 1, my other machine port 2, 3 and 4. 4 has a 5 port switch on it also to allow more machine to be connected when I doing computer work. So explain this or how to see if this is the case.

 

I kinda see what your saying so this would have to be explained or walk me through this process.

 

 

                                                                     | ——— my machine with issue port 1 of router

                                                                     | ——–  machine #2 or port 2 of router

my provider ip to me — >modem/router —–

                                          by cox                | ——–  machine #3 or port 3 of router

                                                                     | ——–  Port 4 to 5 port switch ————————— then 4 more machine if connected 

 

I did that to show my network system I have here. But primary issue is machine 1, while 2,3 and 4 does not drop I am looking at all of them when it happens to see if it happen to all but the others remain connected when this happens.

You only get one IP address from your ISP (unless you have several accounts from them). If you only had one computer connected directly to the modem, your computer would most likely use that IP address. But you go through a router (and the router's integrated 4-port switch, plus another switch) to connect multiple computers. Since two devices on the same network cannot have the same IP address, the router is used to assign a unique IP to each one.

 

If you did not assign a "static" (fixed) IP address for your computer, and if you did not enter your gateway device's admin menu and manually assign a unique IP address to each of your attached computers (and most people don't do this) then you are using DHCP, or "dynamic" IP assignment.

 

If enter your router's admin menu, you will see the IP address assigned to the modem, the default gateway address (the router's main) and you can see the IP address assigned to all the attached devices.

You only get one IP address from your ISP (unless you have several accounts from them). If you only had one computer connected directly to the modem, your computer would most likely use that IP address. But you go through a router (and the router's integrated 4-port switch, plus another switch) to connect multiple computers. Since two devices on the same network cannot have the same IP address, the router is used to assign a unique IP to each one.

 

If you did not assign a "static" (fixed) IP address for your computer, and if you did not enter your gateway device's admin menu and manually assign a unique IP address to each of your attached computers (and most people don't do this) then you are using DHCP, or "dynamic" IP assignment.

 

If enter your router's admin menu, you will see the IP address assigned to the modem, the default gateway address (the router's main) and you can see the IP address assigned to all the attached devices.

ok got ya, so to answer this no I let the modem/router assign a unique IP to each one.

For what it's worth…

 

It's my experience that he would see completely different behavior if it was an issue of two devices assigned the same IP address.

you said it's not the router because other pc's work fine and that pc is connected to port 1 on the router but i don't see if you swapped it to another port to see if the problem still exists, maybe just port 1 has a problem.

 

must admit what your describing sounds a bit like a power issue to me, by that i mean the os is putting your connection to sleep after x amount of time and why it loses connection and takes a while to reconnect when needed again.

 

see if anything here helps :- https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2740020

 

if that doesn't work i did find this topic :- http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-x64-frequently-randomly-disconnects-from/653c8972-147e-4e87-a3fe-17b199dab017

 

where one reply said this fixed a similar disconnect issue :- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2524478

 

:popcorn:

you said it's not the router because other pc's work fine and that pc is connected to port 1 on the router but i don't see if you swapped it to another port to see if the problem still exists, maybe just port 1 has a problem. - Read my first posting you would have seen I swapped the ports 1, to 2 to 3 and same results, my thought were ports and the cat cable.

 

must admit what your describing sounds a bit like a power issue to me, by that i mean the os is putting your connection to sleep after x amount of time and why it loses connection and takes a while to reconnect when needed again. - I have checked that and in power options all is set to never, I even looked at the new network card that I installed and turn them off also.

 

 

I unchecked all the power management stuff before all this started, to be sure I double checked it and all were unchecked. So for the heck of it, used option 1 to see what happens next - - > https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2740020

 

Now yall are going have to bear with me to see when this will happen due to it being random disconnects it could be a few hours to a few days or a week, hard to tell.

 

Jimbo

It's my experience that he would see completely different behavior if it was an issue of two devices assigned the same IP address.

I agree Tom. Such conflicts typically result in a pop up stating there is an IP conflict but in my experience, when that happens the error appears on the second device trying to connect. And it rarely happens in a network with static IP assignments.

DHCP assignments are commonly between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.255 and typically the last octet is between 1 and 10. So my thought is maybe a cell phone or tablet that had previously been assigned his IP was carried into range of this network and attempted to connect with the same IP momentarily kicking his off while the router sorted it out.

Yes, this is a guess, but I note he has changed cables, changed router/switch ports, even changed NICs. And it may work for days without problems. That said, if this is an Ethernet only network, that blows my guess out of the water too.

I see what you were saying.  That makes sense.  I was picturing an ethernet network… but didn't consider the interference of cell phones.

Yes, this is a guess, but I note he has changed cables, changed router/switch ports, even changed NICs. And it may work for days without problems. That said, if this is an Ethernet only network, that blows my guess out of the water too.

Why do you think I came here to get more thoughts on it, it's driving me nuts trying to figure out whets going on this is why I bought anew nic card thinking my onboard network was failing and yet I getting the random disconnects.

Thought I let yall know I have revived my shipping order to got out again to help with the flooding victims here in my area I am currently working on disaster relief teams of cleaning out peoples homes. We have been given orders to ship out tomorrow morning 8/29/16. So please I not going to close this topic, when I get back on this so we can try to fix this problem. I will post back when I come back home to rest again.

Will post my disconnects during the time of my logs files, due to me being connected to my server 24/7, but that's not going to tell me if I really lost my internet or I just pinged out of the server. Usually when I have these disconnect I am looking real fact at my icon to see if the red x and no internet is showing.

So I will be getting back with you on this issue,

Jimbo1 aka PastorJim

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI