This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Print Spooler stopped working after windows 10 upgrade

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

After upgrading our PCs to Windows 10 the print spooler service has stopped working on three of them. If I roll back to Windows 7 it works but I don't want to rollback again if I can help it. I have tried several suggestions from the internet and none have worked so far. 

Add'l info: I've stopped and restarted the spooler service and it stops almost immediately. I can't install or uninstall printers or drivers without the spooler running so that option has been out for me. I've tried deleting the printers from the c:\\system32\spool\printers directory but no files exist in there. I even tried HK_CURRENT_CONFIG > system > CurrentControlSet > Control > Print > Printers to delete but none exist there either. I have three printers showing in my printers but they are all marked unavailable and can't be removed. I've noticed many many people seem to have this problem but so far I haven't found any resolutions. Can you help? Please??? I'm so over Windows 10 at the moment.

 

Thanks. I finally figured it out this morning. Out of 3 machines the event logs from one of them showed a problem with a .dll file stopping the spooler service. I knew the software that installed this file was on all three machines so I deleted that file and now everything works. Thanks for your suggestion. 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI