This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Print Spooler won't install

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

At every boot-up I get a Data Execution window reporting that Windows has closed the Spooler Subsystem App. Not only can't I print, but I can't (most of the time) access anything other than Add Printer from the Control Panel - and that doesn't work. I can't uninstall any printers.

I should add that this issue followed hard on the heels of my spending 3 days tracking down and finally eliminating a SmitFraud virus - with many thanks to Dave (IndeGenus) from this forum and his generous help. During this saga it is possible that I might have inadvertently done something wrong.

Following all I could glean from Googling my problem, the following is a log of what I've tried:


=========================
After booting Getting a [Data Execution] error: [Spooler Subsystem App]

Control Panel > Printers: sometimes shows all normal icons, sometimes just shows Add printer - and that isn't working.
Print a document from Word: Sometimes does nothing, Sometimes just error messsage

My Computer > Manage > Services > Print Spooler > Properties
Startup type: Automatic
Status: Started
Click Restart: no change

Typing [net start spooler] in the Run dialog box - no change

Type in Run Box:
netsh firewall set service type = FILEANDPRINT mode = ENABLE
this gave command line syntax error

There's a process called tcsd_win32.exe in Task Manager - which google tells me might be suspicious. Using Security Task Manager I quarantined this. No change. File restored.

Control Panel > Network Connections - right click
Status: no information
Properties > Advanced > Settings > Exceptions:
File & Printer sharing box ticked

Tried turning off Firewall, and did a Repair on Network Connections: no change

Did a System File Check (SFC) - which requested original CD and presumably found what it wanted. No errors reported: No change

Turn off Printer Spooler Services in windows\system32\spool\printer moved .shd and .spl files to a safe place on my third hard drive
Restart Printer Services, Reboot: no change, above files have been restored

Download Brother utility BatchPatch. and run it: no change. Restarted Printer Spooler services

Control Panel won't let me uninstall any printers
==============================

Dave has pointed me to the following link, which may be relevant.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757

However, this requires lots of Registry changes (which I'm not confident about). There is also the Catch 22 situation: the instructions are very complex, require following meticulously - and I can't print them out!

Would be grateful for any advice.

Philip
Is your XP Pro a clean installation of the Full retail or OEM version?
Or might it be an "upgrade" from an earlier Windows version? if so, which one?
If it is an "upgrade" we may need to have a look as some "legacy" .dll files that may be interferring.

The link provided by IndiGenus does look promising, and I do recognize your "catch-22".
Perhaps you can copy/paste the linked Microsoft page as an Open Office file and save to Floppy or CD, then take it to another computer to print it out?

Excellent list (log of what I've tried) Certainly helps us know what ground has been covered. Very thoughtful, I wish other posters here would do more of the same. :)

Tell us about your Local Area Network.
Is this a home computer? Connected wirelessly? Other computers on the same Router?
If no router, are you connected to the Internet via Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing?
Are you able to connect this machine to the Network via Ethernet cable? (wired connection)
Any other problems with internet connection or file sharing?
For instance, are you able to access and work on files from other computers in your LAN?

Which Brother (model) printer are you trying to connect to?

Will you please consider using the Brother Printer Uninstall Tool, to completely Uninstall your Brother Printer drivers and software?
Then reboot, disconnect any USB peripherals, and reinstall the Brother Printer Drivers and Software.
Get the Brother Uninstaller Tool, here:
http://solutions.brother.com/uninstall/en_us/

Best Regards
The machine is a Dell Precision, new Sept 2006, no problems until SmitFraud virus (and my fiddling to remove it). XP Prof v2002, Service Pack 2, was Dell-installed, with all updates completed. I have their re-installation CD. I use a wireless Network router for internet access. (This is hard-wired to computer) There are no other wireless peripherals, and no other Ethernet connections. I’ve had no problems with broadband access. I am not using a Brother printer: (there was some googled advice suggesting using the Brother BatchPatch regardless of printer). Unless you advise me otherwise, I’ll not perusue your Brother un-install patch. I note that some advice suggests there is a problem with Lexmark printers and spooling. My printer is a Dell Photo 924 – which is made by Lexmark. The advice about this includes removing a Lexmark driver or somesuch – but there are no Lexmark files on my machine, so I am assuming this is irrelevant. My issues seem to be print-spooler related only, tho’ I have a suspicion that occasionally when clicking on a shortcut to an application it sometimes does nothing – and then will revert to working another time. I will try and get a printout of the MS advice and will peruse the register and see if I feel confident enough to tackle that. Incidentally: CCleaner reports dozens of “issues” in the registry, most of which mean nothing to me. CC has (I believe) a high reputation – is it risky to just tell it to FIX things – or should I go to nightschool with Bill Gates before pressing that button? Many thanks Philip
Ccleaner is a reliable utility. CCleaner puts a backup of registry file changes it makes into a .reg file placed in the "My Documents" folder. If you need to restore your Registry, Open "My Documents" there you will find the .reg file, you just double-click it and it will ask to merge into the registry. If double clicking the backup .reg files does not work, you can restore them using regedit by clicking Start - Run (type)regedit.exe then in Regedit click - File - Import - then browse to the location of the .reg file Best Regards, p.s. Bill Gates dropped out of college, but is rumored to frequent the TC sites in hopes of learning the consequences of what he has unleashed upon the world of computer owner/users. :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI